The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My 60 year old dad has been diagnosed with diabetes 3 days ago. His blood sugar level was over 250. I am trying to find out what he can eat and what he should avoid. I appreciate any comments, suggestions, and questions.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi sorry you have to be hear even if it is for your father.

Its carbs that raise BG. ( I assume he is a T2) ALL carbs raise BG
carbs are
rice, potato, pasta, grains even whole grains, sugar, honey and most fruit.

How fast and how high his BG rises depends on how much carbs he eats and him. Need to get a meter and check his BG before he eats and 1 hour after and 2 hours after to find how that food affected him.

salads, most vegetables, meat, eggs and cheeses, nuts and berries are good for BG.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Loma. Can you tell us if he's been put on any meds for this, and what, if any, suggestions have been made by his medical team?

Was he provided with a glucose meter? He'll need one to begin frequent testing, at least until he learns which foods to avoid. Start the day by testing as soon as he wakens & before he eats anything - that is called his fasting blood glucose level (BG) or blood sugar level (BS). Since he prob'ly isn't on Medicare yet, does he have medical insurance? Sometimes meters are covered by insurance, but he would need to contact them to see which brands of meters & strips they cover. The strips can be expensive.

As you prowl around our boards, you'll find a lot of agreement for lowering carbohydrate intake, meaning removing processed foods & fast-acting carbs from our diet (way-of-eating). This usually means reducing or eliminating grain products (bread, cereal, etc., made from wheat, corn, oats, rice & many other grains), potatoes, pasta, and other "white" foods. Anything made with white flour or sugar causes trouble.

There's plenty of help here, so visit often . . . if he's at all computer literate, we'd love to meet him.

Thank you for joining us! :)

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Hi Loma - your dad is fortunate to have you interested and gathering information for him. Welcome to the forum.

I presume your dad has a meter to test his glucose, if not he should get one right away. When I was first diagnosed, I tested like a maniac, maybe as much as 10x/day but then settled on about 4x and now know pretty much what my body reacts to and test 1-2x/day except when I introduce new foods or think I might have eaten a few too many carbs.

The worst foods for a diabetic are carb-laden like anything with sugar, wheat (flour), rice, grains, bread (redundant, but...), cereal, milk, most fruit (berries are more easily tolerated), pasta, potatoes, and starchy veggies like corn.

Good foods are most veggies, meat, cheese, cream, butter, natural oils (olive, coconut), eggs, avocados ...

A great primer on diabetes is found at the website bloodsugar101.com - would be great reading for both you and your dad.

It's daunting at first, but there are a lot of dietary workarounds - many you can find in our recipe section.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was dx'd 4+ years ago at the age of 56. My HbA1c was almost 11 and bg was 240. I got on the internet and learned as much as I could about diabetes. As said above the basic fact with diabetes is that when you eat carbs your bgs go up way too much. So have your dad start reading labels and watch his carb intake. Tell him to use his meter 2 hours after meals to lower his bgs. Any food that gives him a bg of more than 140 is probably not a good choice. Many of us have found we have had to give up cereal, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and fruit. There are still tons of other foods you can eat. For example last night I made some BBQ pulled pork but I made it with Splenda and 0 carb BBQ sauce. I had it with a side of homemade coleslaw and a small portion of sweet potato fries. Fasting today was 100. So you can still eat great food, just not super carby food. Check out Blood Sugar 101

·
Registered
716 Posts
Loma said:
Hello!

My 60 year old dad has been diagnosed with diabetes 3 days ago. His blood sugar level was over 250. I am trying to find out what he can eat and what he should avoid. I appreciate any comments, suggestions, and questions.
Thank you!
Hi loma. Is very nice you are so concerned about your dad. Is your dad overweight? Does he exercise. Just As important or more important than diet is exercise. He should be taking supplement to make sure he is not deficient in anything. ViatMin D3 is a big one. I take 3000 to 4000 per day magnesium calcium a good all around Multi vitamin Omega 3-6-9. I was 9 months ago at 6'1" 185lbs I was not heavy I dropped 20 lbs in 8 months to 164 Now I am 167 and have stabilized weight loss. I am 53 I am on 750 Metformin per day 3 1/2 tablets

I immediately stopped all sugar in any drink. I don't drink alcohol. My coffee is with whipping cream as no sugar. I don't drink milk. I drink unsweetened Almond Milk. I avoid bread almost completely. Minimal pasta and max out on greens 1/2 the plate at a minimum. 1/4 plus protein max 1/4 something else. I also ear lean -fish and chicken minimal beef. Tuna salad is a big one for me. I probably eat too many almonds snack on them all the time. I eat a Greek yogurt very low sugar with 2 heaped teaspoons of flax meal plus scoop iso whey with Stevia ((leaf extrac very sweet) and a few berries like blueberries. Crackers gone unless I make my own as several people in here have a good recipe. I have not put a candy or anything chocolate desert etc in my mouth since I found out. Love pizza -gone - might have 1/4 of a pizza 2 slices on special occasion. Where I used to eat a whole one every Friday night as I used to make them. He needs a good doc to advise him but I would not trust doc 100 %. Read lots This is me & I hope something of what I do helps.

HBS :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Loma excuse the spelling and poor grammar. Typing too fast on iPad and not checking. I your Dad was like me this is a huge shock. It really is great your being helpful and supportive. It's really up to him to meter his blood to monitor what he should and should not eat. It is a big change in life style for some or most of us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you

Thank you all for responding and showing interest. I mean, I am guessing we are all here because we have a common goal, which is learning to live with diabetes. I believe this forum is the best on the internet and I'm glad to learn my dad and I are not alone.

We will be going back to the doctor today, for a second set of blood tests and at the same time he will get his meter (new best friend), and I am assuming he will get his meds too (don't know which yet). Doctor gave him a week without meds and without carbs to see how his body responded. This time I will go with him because I am going to ASK lots of questions to the physician.

Concerning some of the questions I caught:
Yes, my dad is overweight but he has lost close to 30 pounds in the last couple of months because we decided to start dieting together.

No, he doesn't exercise.. but I'm taking the old and dusty treadmill out for him today to start with something!

Seriously,
THANK YOU!!

I will be getting online often because this is like a support team and it feels great. My dad is not really a computer fan, but I already told him about this forum and sat with him to show it to him.

THANKS!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.