The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am new in this forum. Was wondering if i will be able to get a lot from this forum? I am prediabetic and i really need to maintain my blood sugar level to normal. I am afraid that if i eat a lot again my blood sugar will rise up.
What should i do?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My goal is to keep my bgs as normal as possible, too. The way we get there will be different for each one of us. For me it is about controlling the amount of carbs I eat, not just sugar. So I have eliminated wheat flour, rice, pasta, potatoes, fruit and starchy veggies like corn from my diet. I have replaced the carbs with fat and protein. My goal is to keep my bgs near 100 most of the day. I will get an occasional spike if I eat more than 15 carbs at a meal. I take the maximum amount of metformin which really helps me. Also do tons of testing so you know how your body reacts to food, exercise and stress.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, you can get a lot from the forum but it depends how much you read. I'd recommend reading back through lots of past threads - that will give you a sense of what you can find here: lots of support and information.

The best way to keep control of diabetes is to test your blood sugar regularly. That will tell you if what you are doing in the way of diet and exercise is keeping your blood sugar stable within the range where you want it.

A diabetic diet restricts carbohydrates (wheat, grains, potatoes, bread, fruit, sugar, etc) but to what degree depends on one's insulin production and degree of insulin resistance. Only you can tell via testing what that optimal point is for you.

Read as much as you can here - you will learn a lot.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, i will try to read as much as possible previous posts.
Thanks for answering my question. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I too have lessen my carbs. i replaced my white rice with brown rice, i dont eat pasta and desserts anymore.
do you suggest i buy the tester so i can check everytime? I am prediabetic only. Do you think its ok?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
You say you are prediabetic, but what is your blood sugar?

I have a friend who is prediabetic also. She doesn't test because she is controlled and when the doctor tests her readings are still in acceptable range. She has, however, changed her diet as you have. If your readings are in normal range then you're doing things right for you. If they're higher than you'd like, then things like the brown rice could be driving them up a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
moon said:
You say you are prediabetic, but what is your blood sugar?

I have a friend who is prediabetic also. She doesn't test because she is controlled and when the doctor tests her readings are still in acceptable range. She has, however, changed her diet as you have. If your readings are in normal range then you're doing things right for you. If they're higher than you'd like, then things like the brown rice could be driving them up a bit.

My bg is 125. Do you mean the brown rice can elevate bg? Should i change it?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
At what time of day is the 125 blood sugar? When you wake up, before eating, after eating ...? One reading isn't very informative, it's important that it be in context.

I try not to have my blood sugar be in that range, but we're all different. Personally, I would either cut out the brown rice (yes, it has a bad effect on blood sugar) or eat very small amounts.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Everything that has carbs in it can raise bg. Lots of us don't eat any rice or fruit because it raises our bg. and lots of us keep track of how many carbs we eat each day. You came to the right place for good advice. Just keep on reading and asking questions. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Tenette, you should eliminate ALL starch from your diet - corn, rice, all of it. A starch is a starch no matter what color it is. I'm new to diabetes and trying to stay within 20-25 carbs per day - not per meal.

And yes, definitely get a meter to keep track of your sugars.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi, i am new in this forum. Was wondering if i will be able to get a lot from this forum? I am prediabetic and i really need to maintain my blood sugar level to normal. I am afraid that if i eat a lot again my blood sugar will rise up.
What should i do?
hi tenette,

im the same shoes as you... and many of ur questions can b answered thru the post that other members posted on my thread when i asked them the same thing. they give good advice on managing your diet... check it out if u want.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome to the forum. One thing I've learned on this forum is that we have to find exactly what works for us. This can all be confusing and overwhelming. Just take it slow and keep your chin up. :)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
:whistle:
What should i do?
Stop eating a lot

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
What should i do?
Hello Tenette and:welcome: to the forum! I believe you get what you give. I think we have a lot of support when a member needs it. It helps for you bring it to our attention if you are having problems. Don't be shy when you need help. Tenette, there are many foods that you can eat that do not raise your blood sugar. My favorite food is string cheese. I will make you a list of foods that can be eaten without it rising your blood sugar if you want one, let me know if you want a list. I hope you will feel comfortable here and have the time to visit often and take care. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the forum... Lots of good info... Ask lots of questions... Don't get to uptight ... Understanding will come together over time... Read through the threads... Check your blood sugar often ... Keep a record of what you eat... This whole problem has to do with eating ...

bugg:) glad you found us early

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am afraid that if i eat a lot again my blood sugar will rise up.
It isn't so much a matter of how much you eat, as what you eat. It is important to eat small amounts several times a day. Many of us are on a low carb, high fat diet, which seems to be very good for diabetics. When it comes to food, carbs are the main thing that causes bg to rise, but there are lots of good things to eat that contain no carbs so won't affect bg.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hello Tenette and:welcome: to the forum! I believe you get what you give. I think we have a lot of support when a member needs it. It helps for you bring it to our attention if you are having problems. Don't be shy when you need help. Tenette, there are many foods that you can eat that do not raise your blood sugar. My favorite food is string cheese. I will make you a list of foods that can be eaten without it rising your blood sugar if you want one, let me know if you want a list. I hope you will feel comfortable here and have the time to visit often and take care. :)
Hi Rebecca,

I'd love one of your lists too if you wouldn't mind sending one my way! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts