The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm Sue. I live in England and am 57, a mother and grandmother. I have type 2 diabetes, at present poorly controlled. I have had diabetes about 15 years and have been on insulin for about 10 years. I am not on any other diabetes medication at present. I had severe stomach problems with metformin. I had sulphonureas for a few years but then they stopped being effective so had to go onto insulin. I am overweight ( about 70 pounds overweight). Some of the time I stick to the diet my dieticien provided but I then cheat and get off the diet. Sweets ( candy) is my big temptation especially chocolate.

My sugars are running high all the time and my diabetes nurse has suggested I see the consultant to see if he will prescribe Byetta (exenatide). This is quite new over here and is not usually prescribed with insulin. I am told that, in the US, people have had it for some time and I would like to hear about their experience with it.Thanks.

Sue

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am a type2 diabetic, diagnosed in March, 2007. I am on 1000 mg. of metformin twice a day and 10 mcg of Byetta twice a day. I LOVE the Byetta. My diabetes is not that hard to control compared to others but my glucose levels before Byetta were always around 105-115. Byetta has brought my glucose levels anywhere from 85-100 fasting. It has decreased my appetite and I have lost 29 lbs as of my last doctors visit. I dragged my feet about starting Byetta but I got tired of my being disappointed by my glucose levels and I also got tired of not being able to lose weight. I think Byetta is a wonderful drug. I have heard it being used in conjunction with insulin. It is appropriate for any type2 diabetic with insulin resisitance. I would not be afraid to try it. If it doesn't work for you, then you tell your doctor you don't think it's helping and ask him to take you off it. If you have any specific questions, I would love to answer them for you if I can. Also, browse around on this www.byetta.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts