The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Insulatard and NovoRapid didn`t do the job anymore, and the doctors think its maybe my hypothyroidism and the medication, Levaksin, that makes my insuline no longer works, or it can just be that I`m somhow immune to those specific types of insulin.
Now I will get Lantus and Humilog.
The doctor told me she didn`t know much about diabetes (young doctor,intern) but to her knowledge I could just switch, and I should use the same amount as I do today.
Is this correct?
I was also told to increase my carbo very slowly, I`m now just eating 20 carbo each day, to try control my BG when the insuline wouldn`t work anymore.
My body prefers to eat at least 40 carbs each day.....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
use the same amount of insulin as when it DID work. using the same amount of working insulin as you used of non working will lead to a low if the new stuff works.
That make sense!
I`m not sure how much is left of my honeymoon, and how much help the insuline gave me. It will be better to be a bit to high in the beginning instead of dropping low (and I drops really quick)
I recieve my new insulin tomorrow, I hope.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What are the chances that you've developed insulin resistance? In that case, metformin would help out a lot along with your new insulin.
My diabetesdoctor at the hospital said it could be I`ve developed insulin resistance, but it maybe is just to the type I already has, and she wants me to try those new types to check it out.
She also says the medicine I take for my hypothyroidism makes my bloodsugar rise, but the insuline will make the medication less effective.
I haven`t thought about it before, but my hypothyroidism started to give me lots of problems and I couldn`t use the dose suitable to me and my bloodtests about the time I started to take insuline.
I don`t know if this is just a coincidence, or what?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Despite insulin resistance being a hallmark of type 2 diabetes, it often happens that type 1 people can develop it if there's been weight gain, or some other mitigating circumstance, and as Richard157 has explained, you then have double diabetes. But metformin works as well for insulin resistance in type 1s as it does in type 2s. If your new insulin doesn't give you a jump start, let your doc know that YOU know about type 1s with IR.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Despite insulin resistance being a hallmark of type 2 diabetes, it often happens that type 1 people can develop it if there's been weight gain, or some other mitigating circumstance, and as Richard157 has explained, you then have double diabetes. But metformin works as well for insulin resistance in type 1s as it does in type 2s. If your new insulin doesn't give you a jump start, let your doc know that YOU know about type 1s with IR.
Thanks!
Life is good and there is nothing special stressful going on.
I`ve always been slim, but since I got my diabetes I`ve been to thin. I`m 1,60 tall and my weight is only 47 kilo.
My doctor told me to contact her if the new insulin doesn`t work properly within a week. I will then ask her about type 1s with IR. Do you know if this is something a bloodtest can reveal?
Cross my fingers and hope it is just the Insulatard and NovoRapid that didn`t work for me.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Did your doctor recommend Lantus to be used once a day or twice? Lantus is advertised (at least here in the US) as once a day. However, when I was on MDI (multiple daily injections) I had to split my dose to twice a day. One injection of Lantus per day only lasted me about 16 hours and then my blood glucose would go too high. So my doctor recommended to take two injections Lantus per day.

In my opinion Insultard has too much unpredictable peak in it. I think many people prefer the newer insulins, either Lantus or Levemir.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The doctor said I should take my Lantus in the morning, and keep checking if I ought to split it into two.
The other type, Humilog I think she said, should be taken at meal, and it were supposed to kick in really fast. I could even set the Humilog AFTER started eating.
I have to take NovoRapid at least one hour before meal now.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Humalog is not going to be any faster than NovoRapid was.
When I started with NovoRapid one year ago, it kicked after ten minuts. As an diabetes amateour I got really low when I got a phone just when we were going to eat, and I totally forgot I had set my insulin.
I just hope Humalog will work. Its really annoying when the insulin wont do as it supposed to.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It will all act like that if you are not taking enough of it.
I dont think I`m taken to little of it. For some reason it wont kick in before there is gone more than an hour. Then I eat. For the next hour it works. My bloodsugar drops down to 3 or 4, and sometimes to 2,3.
I dont eat or drink anything but the bloodsugar starts to raise again.
This happens each time I`m going to eat, so it feels like being in a rollercoaster....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today I recieved my new insulin.
I am the kind of person that always read the leaflet since I have different diseases and use several medicines.
Well, the Humalog has a warning not to be given to people who are blind or have poor eyesight.
Thats genious! My eyesigt is really poor. I`m not even able to see my own fingernails. And of course my doctor know that.
When I use the Insulatard and the NovoRapid I just count the clicks to set the correct dose. I don`t know why I can`t do that with the Humalog?
Anyone using Humalog care to explain why you need good eyes to take Humalog?
I do preciate to be able to do as much as possible on my own, and I don`t like the idea to always ask for help with my insulin when I want to eat something.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Optimist, Humalog will click in the pen just like the others. I take Humalog for my fast acting and it kicks in about 10-15 minutes. I have had some really great results with it. So far I have no complaints about it. I don't know why if you have poor eyesight. I know that with the Humalog pen, you have to prime each time you use it. Perhaps if you can't see if it has a stream of insulin coming out of the needle when primed they don't want you to be injecting air bubbles. That is IMO, but I know you have to prime each and every time you use it with 2 units.
I hope it works for you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks naynay!
I talked with the producer (Lily) today, and they tell me I can`t trust the clicks in Humalog flexipen (the clicks are not reliable, and several users had rapported that to them), so they would discuss if they could get me another type which I can use without having someone to help me.
Now I`m waiting for them to call me back with information about what they recommand for me.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Expect side effects from Lantus....:(
Which side effects do you mean?
So far I only have noticed it really burns when I inject it, and I get a red itchy lump for the first 15 minutes after injection.
My BG acts the same way it did on Insulatard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As I see, you are new in the business...Most of the side effects i'm talking about appear after years of using Lantus.Mine was diabetic mastopathy. Just goole Lantus side effects. Among the results you should see quite a few people complainig about it on another forums.

@Optimist : Try changing the way you inject... the red itchy lump appears when injecting other types of insulin also, especially when the number of units is high and the needle is a short type.

Stay healthy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.