The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I registered on this site just after my Dx at the end of March but have been spending most of my time on another forum. I do, however, like the good international mix on this forum so I thought I'd get myself going here. Some of you may already know me from that other forum but for those that don't…

Hi! I'm a Type 2 (diagnosed after a heart attack on March 23rd of this year). I'm following a low carb diet but not a high fat one as well. I put the care of my heart before my diabetes care and don't want to subject it to high amounts of fat and cholesterol at this stage in the game when it is still weak.

I hope to meet you all over the course of my diabetic journey on this forum!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Well you got a load of news at one time, didn't you? Glad you survived your heart attack, and I'm sure will now get healthier than ever. I don't know if you needed a wake-up call, but I did, and diabetes has turned out to be a blessing in my case.

That's a challenging diet you've decided on: low-carb, low-fat, low-cholesterol. I assume at least you allow yourself an abundance of some fats such as olive oil, avocado, nuts. What about coconut oil - are you okay with that?

Do you mind my asking what your numbers were at diagnosis? We're a nosy lot around here :)

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I hope you are using the fats mentioned above. My overall cholesterol dropped like a brick after I started eating high fat. My cardiologist predicted that it would as the other measures included in the total.

I'm no doctor, but you might do well checking into that method of lowering your blood fats.

In any case, welcome!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Many of us do Low Carb/ higher fat diets and find our cholesterol and trigs come down and our HDL goes up. I don't eat high protein , usually 2-3 oz at dinner, but I do eat Coconut Oil and find it is terrific for my bgs. I think a lot of the research is showing high glycation is the worst thing for heart health because it causes stickey LDL which causes more plaque in our arteries.

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
741 Posts
hello from Australia Canadianman!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the wonderful greetings!

@Moon - My initial numbers marked me as pre-D but once I began testing and seeing the reaction of certain foods to my levels, I soon realized that I was actually Type 2. My first A1C was a 6.3 and I just recently had my second which I managed to bring down to 5.8 through a combination of diet and exercise. I take heart meds but nothing for my BG levels. I had asked my doc about Metformin during my last meeting and he said I was showing good control and didn't see a need for me to be taking Metformin.

I'm ok with coconut oil and use it in my morning coffee and also use it in cooking. However, with that said, I come to a huge problem. I simply detest the taste of both avocado and olives (the same holds for many cheeses and yoghurts). It makes my dietary choices much more limited at a time when they are already severely limited.

@jwags - I really value your advice from "the other forum" and I think I've managed to start getting myself back to healthy levels. You may have seen my numbers before but here they are again for everyone else here as well:

My new numbers as of 11/5/2011.

Triglycerides Old - 329, New - 151

LDL Old - 199, New - 97

HDL Old - 27, New - 30

BP 100/65

Fasting BG Old - 113, New - 92

Cholesterol Old - 293, New - 158

HbA1c Old - 6.3, New - 5.8

Old weight - 213 lbs
New weight - 187 lbs

@d33na- I love some of your recipes! I will have to try them soon.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Canadiandude - you are doing awesome - congrats!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Yeah, I know the feeling. I've a lipid struggle too - but need everything going in a better direction. Figure we're early in the game and need to have patience. <breathe> <breathe>

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You've made incredible progress since taking the bull by the horns - more power to you, CanadianDude! HDL is uncommonly slow to increase, but keep plugging away - you've got those triglycerides on the run. Excellent numbers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts