The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there my name is diane and i have been not well for about 7wekks and i found out last week that i am type 2, the gp put me on 1 tab of metafome sorry if wrong spelling,that is all he has given me,i do not go to the diabetes clinic till the first of april to see dietician and then middle of april to see the nurse, so i am sort of out on a limb at the minute, i know that i have to eat fresh fruit and veg, and plenty of exercise, i have started doing that but i havent been given anything to check my blood suger or anything else in the morning so i have to go on how i feel, some mornings i get up and i feel dizzy spaced out, legs feel, like they are not gonna hold me up, and sometimes i tend to feel as tho i am drunk, even after i have had something to eat it takes alot to bring me back to normal, ppl have said wen i feel like this to take glucose tablets but wouldnt that make me worse, and i think i need abit of help to get through until i can see my clinic

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
So sorry to hear this, Diane. Welcome to our forum and we'll try to find some relief for you while you wait for your appointments. You might consider calling your doctor back too, letting him know how extreme are your symptoms in the mornings.

In any case, you need a meter and you need it soon. I don't know what prices are like there, but drug stores should have them available. I think if I were you, I would go get a meter and start testing as soon as possible. You definitely need to get a reading when you wake up so weak in the mornings. Do you know what your numbers were at diagnosis? It will prob'ly be a few more days or weeks before your metformin begins to kick in at maximum levels, so do see about getting a meter as soon as possible. If you can get a carb counter book, that will help you a lot too. There are even carb count websites like CalorieKing.

Be really careful eating fruits - some of them are very high in natural sugar. Berries are a good choice sometimes - but it's something that varies from one person to the next and many of us have to go easy on most fruit. And you're right about the glucose tablets - they could very well make things worse. Better to have beef sticks or cheese sticks handy.

The main things to avoid right now are white foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and anything else made with white flour and/or white sugar, as well as regular sodas, etc. Read labels like mad, and avoid any food or drink containing corn syrup solids, corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup.

The good news is you can have all you want of eggs, cheese, nuts, olives, meat, poultry, fish & vegetables like spaghetti squash, leafy greens, asparagus & broccoli . . . all are good low-carb choices. Even if you like your meat or fish breaded, you'll discover things like almond or pecan meal make just as good breading as cracker crumbs! Amazing, eh?!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So sorry to hear this, Diane. Welcome to our forum and we'll try to find some relief for you while you wait for your appointments. You might consider calling your doctor back too, letting him know how extreme are your symptoms in the mornings.

In any case, you need a meter and you need it soon. I don't know what prices are like there, but drug stores should have them available. I think if I were you, I would go get a meter and start testing as soon as possible. You definitely need to get a reading when you wake up so weak in the mornings. Do you know what your numbers were at diagnosis? It will prob'ly be a few more days or weeks before your metformin begins to kick in at maximum levels, so do see about getting a meter as soon as possible. If you can get a carb counter book, that will help you a lot too. There are even carb count websites like CalorieKing.

Be really careful eating fruits - some of them are very high in natural sugar. Berries are a good choice sometimes - but it's something that varies from one person to the next and many of us have to go easy on most fruit. And you're right about the glucose tablets - they could very well make things worse. Better to have beef sticks or cheese sticks handy.

The main things to avoid right now are white foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and anything else made with white flour and/or white sugar, as well as regular sodas, etc. Read labels like mad, and avoid any food or drink containing corn syrup solids, corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup.

The good news is you can have all you want of eggs, cheese, nuts, olives, meat, poultry, fish & vegetables like spaghetti squash, leafy greens, asparagus & broccoli . . . all are good low-carb choices. Even if you like your meat or fish breaded, you'll discover things like almond or pecan meal make just as good breading as cracker crumbs! Amazing, eh?!
thank you so much for your help i will get one straight away,and take note on my fruit and food intake , also if i could ask you 2 more things, at times i seem to have like frozen legs its as thou the blood has been frozen in my legs, and the other thing is that i get like burning sansations everywhere over my body not at the same time but on different occasions thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts