The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi there well at last i have my monitor, and i have taken my blood suger for the first time this morning, i took it before i had breakfast and it was 10 so 2 hrs later i took it and it is now 12, i thought it was surposed to go down after eating pleased can you explain thank you diane i have just taken it again 3 15 pm and it has gone down to 7.8 which is better then the earlier one wat should be the normal level could you tell me thank you

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's so good to hear you have your monitor now - and can get down to the business of lowering your glucose levels, which are way too high. An ideal wake-up reading would be more around 5.5 or 6.

Eating certain foods can cause your levels to rise sharply, and your mission now will be to find out what foods those are, and avoid eating them. A healthy target for after-meal readings is to go no higher than 7.5 or 8.

When blood glucose levels are above 8 for very often or very long, our organs are sustaining damage from the high levels.

Try to avoid eating the "white" foods - things like rice, bread, pasta, potatoes, anything made with white flour and/or white sugar. Use a lot protein in your diet, and allow yourself a fair amount of fats too. Now that you are diabetic, a good glucose breakfast would be bacon and eggs, but without any toast or muffins.

Stay in touch, Diane . . . you can work this out and we can help you.

take care,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks very much, so if i stay on anything brown like brown bread and pasta so isnt there any suger or less suger in brown bread cos that is wat i eat thank you i will now work on this mission i do not eat alot of fat at all i have bread and ryvita and things just with the paste or watever i feel like eating that day i thank you again

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
thanks very much, so if i stay on anything brown like brown bread and pasta so isnt there any suger or less suger in brown bread cos that is wat i eat thank you i will now work on this mission i do not eat alot of fat at all i have bread and ryvita and things just with the paste or watever i feel like eating that day i thank you again
Since you're diabetic now, you'll find that fat is good for you. It doesn't raise your blood sugars and it helps reduce the spike when you eat any carbs. So eating bacon or using butter on your vegetables is going to be good. Avocados are another good choice.

Even brown bread and pasta is going to raise your sugars, so if I were you, I would try to eat more cheese, eggs, meat, poultry and fish. For right now, don't eat any bread or pasta or rice or potatoes. Keep checking with your monitor and see if your levels drop a lot - I bet they will if you stop eating bread/crackers/pasta/rice. Just give it a try, and test 1½ or 2 hours after you've eaten. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
All foods with carbs (carbohydrates) will raise your Blood Sugar (BS). The thing to learn is what foods raise you BS and how fast (the slower the better) and how much (the lesser the better) .
Every body reacts a Little different to each food.

All grains are full of carbs, they will make your BS go up. :(
Whole grains have fiber, that will help slow the rise of BS
sugar UP:(
honey WAY UP:mad:

Fat slows down the blood sugar rise:D
fiber slows down the rise also.:D
exercise lowers BS:D
meds lower BS:D

that is the short of it, those are the tools you need to understand and use to control your diabetes.:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts