The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hi. I'm new to the forums, but not so much to diabetes. I was diagnosed w/ type 1 in 2004 (after being diagnosed with every other type 1st). I'm presently on a pump.
Familiar w/ lots of the members here, so I'm excited to join.

:)
Rachel

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Rachel . . . maybe you know me too . . . a few around here keep calling me "Granny . . . " :D Sure happy to have you with us!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Hi Rachel, im new to you lol

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Rachel, thanks for joining! I have seen a few Rachel's on the D sites, and I can't remember which one you are. I am 71 now...guess that might be the problem. :p I am the old guy who has been type 1 for 65 years. It would be interesting to hear how you were misdiagnosed, and then correctly diagnosed. Did you have to see several doctors before they got it right?

Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Rachel, thanks for joining! I have seen a few Rachel's on the D sites, and I can't remember which one you are. I am 71 now...guess that might be the problem. :p I am the old guy who has been type 1 for 65 years. It would be interesting to hear how you were misdiagnosed, and then correctly diagnosed. Did you have to see several doctors before they got it right?

Richard
Hi Richard, I'm rak1978 on "the other site". I'm not sure you can blame the memory thing on age...I have a terrible memory and I'm 32...but I do have 3 kids & diabetes (that's gotta be some kind of excuse!).
As far as me being misdiagnosed, it's a long story, but I'll try to make it short. I was 26, and had just delivered a baby. The following 3 ob visits after delivering my daughter I had sugar in my urine (and a few while pregnant). My ob gave me an order for a gtt, which I ignored (stupid!!!). Soon after, I got pregnant w/ my second child. My NEW ob immediately ordered a gtt after seeing sugar in my urine yet again. So, I went for the test and was told by the first nurse that I was diabetic (pre-existing, not gestational) and will be on insulin forever, then my perinatologist told me he was treating it as gestational, then after the birth of my son, my new endo said I most likely wasn't diabetic anymore. After ANOTHER gtt, he concluded I was type 2 (I guess simply based on my age???) . I was stubborn about taking insulin, and would only randomly take it because I thought if I only lost more weight (I was only 125 lbs at the time), ate less carbs, exercised more, etc... that this problem would go away....why would I need insulin, right? Obviously, the problem got worse, and my endo encouraged a pump. I wouldn't get the pump without an antibody test. So, he ordered one and it showed that I'm actually type 1. I think I had a pretty long honeymoon (which is long over now).
Looking back, I had lost 75 lbs very quickly (50 of it baby weight) after delivering my first child, when I was showing sugar in my urine. I just thought I did a really good job w/ my diet...ha! Now, I know that is only half true.

Well, I guess that wasn't really the short version, but I tried. There ya have it :).

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Rachel

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Just wanted to say hi. I'm new to the forums, but not so much to diabetes. I was diagnosed w/ type 1 in 2004 (after being diagnosed with every other type 1st). I'm presently on a pump.
Familiar w/ lots of the members here, so I'm excited to join.

Rachel
Hello Rachel! You are new to me. I am a member on several other forums, but my heart and soul belongs here, this is my favorite forum. I hope you have time to visit us iftem. Take care!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks Rachel, that is an interesting background. I have read many posts about being misdiagnosed. I am glad you are on the right path now. This is a very friendly forum, I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Can we change it to "young mother hen"?.....feeling old these days :(.

Rachel, You're are OK buy me as the pic that I saw I see a model. The smile is a bonus. :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts