The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the doctor Thursday got a 6.1 so it dropped again. She has decided to put me on lantus I think that is what it is called I am to inject in my belly she said I should drop more wait.ok so I am scarred of needles and I heard this medicine can make you sick.does anybody know about this

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hmmm . . . lantus shouldn't make you sick, Rhonda, and it doesn't really help with weight loss either. Have you had trouble with high morning readings?

Good to see your A1c continues to drop!

·
Registered
916 Posts
you will gain & when you eat like a bird , your weight will stall. Or you can' t lose. thats me. I lost a few lbs. 20/25. and that goes up & down everyday by 3lbs.:pout: I am going to weigh in once a week from now on. If I wasn't on insulin I would have dropped a bunch of weight by now.

Lantus didn't make me sick, I started on 10 units at bedtime. In my outside to top of right leg (thigh) NOT my belly. then I do the left leg to just switch sites.

Btw I got sick as a dog with Victosa. :(

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you HbA1c is dropping I would be surprised they would put you on Lantus. As said a lot of people have problems with gaining weight on Lantus unless you go on a super low carb diet. The best med for dropping weight is metformin .

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
? with an A1C of 6.1 I dont think she would put you on insulin. Victosa can make you sick and will help you loose weight. check again the name of the new med

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know anything about this med just curious and my sugar at one time was 8.2 just dropped with a few lost pounds

·
Registered
360 Posts
Went to the doctor Thursday got a 6.1 so it dropped again. She has decided to put me on lantus I think that is what it is called I am to inject in my belly she said I should drop more wait.ok so I am scarred of needles and I heard this medicine can make you sick.does anybody know about this

I have been on Lantus for a year and 2 months. I haven't gained any weight. Metformin made me very sick (pancreatitis) so that is why I am on Lantus. I am not fond of needles either but it truly doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was on junivamet for years. but this month she put me on metforman and glipizide I have no insurance and I was getting samples then I went Thursday and she put me on victor 1.8 mg in the morning and metforman at night

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't know much about diabetic medicine because I don't take any, but I do know that some diabetic drugs stimulate the pancreas to make more insulin, which wears out your pancreas quicker. I don't know if Victoza is one of those drugs, but you can check it out online, plus any side effects.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are lucky to not have to take medicine I was like that at one time and did not listen she said if I loose more weight I will go back to controlling with diet

·
Registered
61 Posts
she said if I lose more weight I will go back to controlling with diet
Yeah, most doctors and dieticians tell us that being overweight causes type 2, but some members here got it even though they were thin and fit and eating what is considered to be healthy. Have you had a chance to go to Blood Sugar 101 yet? If you do, be sure to read the section 'You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes. The REAL Causes.'

As far as getting off medicine, it depends on the condition of your pancreas... whether or not it is producing enough insulin on its own. That is why I advised you to check and see whether or not Victoza stimulates the pancreas. Medicines that do, cause the pancreas to wear out faster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts