The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;
My wife and I have an adopted 4-year old daughter, Julia, who was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last Tuesday. As you can relate - it was a massive shock to all of us. She has been a perfectly healthy little girl who started wetting the bed 12 days ago. Suspecting a urinary infection, my wife scheduled an appointment with the pediatrician. She was expecting a prescription for an antibiotic, but got the diabetes diagnosis instead. My wife and daughter were sent to the local hospital where we spent 3 days monitoring her glucose and learning the ropes of insulin dependence. Our world changed quickly!

Luckily, my wife and daughter are simply amazing. Beth caught the symptoms quickly before Julia had any dangerous problems. Julia has adapted to the "finger poke" and "shot" very quickly with surprisingly little drama. Beth is becoming a master of carb counting and dosing.

Julia is adopted from Ethiopia. (her Ethiopian name is Mekdes and "ababa" means "daddy" in Amharic). We know her mother died unexpectedly, perhaps of diabetes - we don't know.

I joined the site to learn from others about the long-term management of Type 1 diabetes and hear messages of hope on future treatments.

I'll post her picture when I get to "active member" status.

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Greetings
I hope things work our for your family and daughter. I have Type ll diabetes but there are a lot of people on this forum that have Type l diabetes and I hope, will give you the support you need. The medical profession is looking for treatments for diabetes. If you google " Edmonton Protocol " you can see how far they are getting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi;
Sorry - I just figured out that this forum is mostly Type 2 diabetics and older patients. I found another specifically for young Type 1 kids like mine. So this will likely be my second and last posting here!

Best of luck to all of you.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I hope you come back for support. There are several of us Type 1s on here and we would love to encourage you and help you. Goo luck with everything.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi;
Sorry - I just figured out that this forum is mostly Type 2 diabetics and older patients. I found another specifically for young Type 1 kids like mine. So this will likely be my second and last posting here!

Best of luck to all of you.
Meeting Richard would be very interesting, he has had T1 diabetes for more years than I can remember and is a great motivator and I am sure he would know some of the best forums for children.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.