The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick background: 33yo BM, investment banker, type 2 diagnosed 4 mos ago w/A1c of 8.2, bad cholesterol of 170, high BP of 160/110, BG of 241, weight around 425. Deep family history of diabetes and heart disease, and I was on track to a short life (like my father and brother). I was essentially diagnosed by accident, basically found out due to bloodwork I had done for pre-surgery screening for a broken foot. I knew it was coming based on weight gain, family history, and how I was feeling. I was given Metformin ER, Zocor, and Micardis HCT

So....4 months later, bloodwork results were a complete reversal: A1c of 5.1, bad cholesterol of 63, BP 130/90, weight of 378!!!

I'm writing this to serve as inspiration to people struggling with their condition. My method may not work for everyone, but should yield positive results for people. In one word, my method is LIFESTYLE!!!! Crazy that this worked, as I was basically contemplating lap bands, etc., to accomplish weight loss. I basically cut out all white carbs early on...no pasta, rice, bread, refined sugar, juice, booze...only cabs came from fruit, veggies, and high fiber breads, etc. I used fruit for my sweet tooth. Strawberries and apples primarily, due to high fiber. Lots of protein...try to have no carbs for dinner other than veggies. No exercise (broken foot) beyond just walking. Walking more instead of cabs, taking midday 20-30min walks in midtown. Just being on my feet more (leg muscles are big muscle groups that burn a lot). In the last month, I've incorporated some treats into my diet, but focus on portion control, being active and ensuring I intake lots of fiber on all days (food and/or supplements)...I also hope to actually hit the gym now that I've had my foot heal.

I hope my situation helps some people incorporate small changes into their lives that have big impact on health and well-being. I feel like a new man! We all have the ability to defeat this ailment!!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Lifestyle is exactly the word - this is a plan for a lifetime. You've done a marvelous job in only four months - keep that going & you'll prob'ly live to be 100! ;)

Each of us needs to tweak that basic low-carb premise to our own situation - as you say, it may not work for everyone - but the basic idea of limiting the most egregious examples like pasta, rice, bread, refined sugar, juice, etc., is flawless.

Thanks for a great testimony & welcome to DF. Take care and visit us often!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Qevans2000, great job! That is so awesome to read such success! You have changed for the better and that is always positive. You obviously recognized that if you did not make those changes you would end up like other family who periled because of the big D. My Mom did as well at the age of 66 years young. My numbers went totally out of control last year and I saw a cardiologist for the first time since I was at such high risk for cardiovascular disease. He told me if I continued with my numbers the way they were then that I would beat my Mother to the grave. I was only going on 48 at that time. That was a huge wake up call. I managed to lose some weight and got numbers to start retreating, but like past experience they start to creep up on their own and I had to go to using insulin. I'm almost a month in with the insulin and so far getting mostly positive results. I'm still in trial and error with foods, so I'm learning what I can and cannot eat. But, like you, I stay away from all the white carbs. I have learned that you can still eat to satisfaction and delight without all those carbs. These people here are great and knowledgeable where their diabetes is concerned, so I read all the posts and find inspiration from many. You are at the top of my list right now! God Bless and keep going! *hugs*

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Qevans2000. Keep up the good work. When the numbers have gone down, we're losing weight and all seems well, some don't bother to check their bg numbers, and before they know it, the numbers are high again. So even though things are going well, be sure to keep tabs on your numbers and your success will continue.

We're glad you found us. Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Hey Q2000, really great work, you show that it can be done,especially if you want to live alittle longer!! Keep on going

·
Registered
344 Posts
Good for you. You have a ways to go on the weight but as long as you keep you head in this you will make it. I am glad for you and it is a testament of eating right and exercising.

I am also thinking you have a good chance of getting off all diabetes meds also if you keep it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to the people of this forum.

Truthfully, I was a wreck when I heard the news as I was totally uninformed of how a reversal would be possible. Reading stories here gave me the knowledge and confidence to give it a whirl and view diabetes as treatable and beatable...I now feel like there is no looking back. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quick background: 33yo BM, investment banker, type 2 diagnosed 4 mos ago w/A1c of 8.2, bad cholesterol of 170, high BP of 160/110, BG of 241, weight around 425. Deep family history of diabetes and heart disease, and I was on track to a short life (like my father and brother). I was essentially diagnosed by accident, basically found out due to bloodwork I had done for pre-surgery screening for a broken foot. I knew it was coming based on weight gain, family history, and how I was feeling. I was given Metformin ER, Zocor, and Micardis HCT

So....4 months later, bloodwork results were a complete reversal: A1c of 5.1, bad cholesterol of 63, BP 130/90, weight of 378!!!

I'm writing this to serve as inspiration to people struggling with their condition. My method may not work for everyone, but should yield positive results for people. In one word, my method is LIFESTYLE!!!! Crazy that this worked, as I was basically contemplating lap bands, etc., to accomplish weight loss. I basically cut out all white carbs early on...no pasta, rice, bread, refined sugar, juice, booze...only cabs came from fruit, veggies, and high fiber breads, etc. I used fruit for my sweet tooth. Strawberries and apples primarily, due to high fiber. Lots of protein...try to have no carbs for dinner other than veggies. No exercise (broken foot) beyond just walking. Walking more instead of cabs, taking midday 20-30min walks in midtown. Just being on my feet more (leg muscles are big muscle groups that burn a lot). In the last month, I've incorporated some treats into my diet, but focus on portion control, being active and ensuring I intake lots of fiber on all days (food and/or supplements)...I also hope to actually hit the gym now that I've had my foot heal.

I hope my situation helps some people incorporate small changes into their lives that have big impact on health and well-being. I feel like a new man! We all have the ability to defeat this ailment!!!
Woo-hoo!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Qevans2000, I did the same thing in about the same amount of time with a low carb diet. Yesterdays A1C test came back at 5.2

Congrats and let's keep it going

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
23 Posts

That is fantastic!!! Best of luck to you. I can see a long and healthy future ahead of you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let me first thank this site and people's stories for motivating me to get my sh*t in order.

It's been 1 year since my 8.2 A1c reading and wake up call. Since then, I've lost a total of 65lbs and my last two A1c readings were 5.1 and 5.2 respectively.

I've had some ups and downs...down 45, up 15, etc...but a new, healthy lifestyle really did the trick for me. Not a food Nazi or a gym rat...just trying to watch my diet, walk a lot, and really limit junk food and empty drinks. Due to back and broken foot, I've only been to gym 3 times in last year. Once back is fully repaired, I look forward to incorporating real exercise.

I think supplements and vitamins have helped too. They say Vitamin D works, and a good multivitamin for me have kept all critical numbers in check for me...and BP is well improved.

Frankly, without the stories in this site a year ago, none of this would have been accomplished IMHO.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Obviously, by your trade, you understand the importance of making good investments. You just made the geatest investment ever.....in yourself.

Do keep up the great work.

Reactions: Patdart
1 - 16 of 16 Posts