The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My name is Barbara, my friends call me Sunshine. Was diagnosed in August, 2008 as Type II diabetic. Diabetes runs in my family but so far I've been able to manage with diet and excercise. I take a low dose baby aspirin every day and work out a min of three times every week. The hardest part for me is managing sweets cause I have a sweet tooth. Lately I've been satisfying myself with sugarfree jello with whipped cream. I'd love to learn of other sugar free recipies, especially the ones that make you feel like your cheating:)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Barbara . . . you've come to the right place for recipes that make you feel like your cheating! heheh! Try out this carrot cake - and then try to not eat the whole cake in one day! :D :D :D

There are scads of foods that are perfect for PWD (persons with diabetes), so be sure to look beyond just desserts. One of my all time favorites is eggs benedict.

Sugar-free jello with real dairy whipped cream is one of my favorites too!

G

·
welcome Barbara :) glad to hear you are keeping control with diet and exercise. I'm type 2 also and on full time insulin. You will find lots of great info and support here. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi My name is Barbara, my friends call me Sunshine. Was diagnosed in August, 2008 as Type II diabetic. Diabetes runs in my family but so far I've been able to manage with diet and excercise. I take a low dose baby aspirin every day and work out a min of three times every week. The hardest part for me is managing sweets cause I have a sweet tooth. Lately I've been satisfying myself with sugarfree jello with whipped cream. I'd love to learn of other sugar free recipies, especially the ones that make you feel like your cheating:)
Hello Sunshine and welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of information to be found on here, read what interests you and if you can't find something, just do a search. I hope you can visit often and take care!:welcome:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We are glad you're here. I hope you find a lot of information and encouragement from those of us on this board.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome.. here's my favorite decadent dessert snack:

First make Angel Bites:

5 egg whites (save the yolks for the custard)
1/3 cup Splenda granulated (or equivalent)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Heat oven to 350F and lightly oil a baking sheet
Whip egg whites in a medium bowl until soft peaks, add other ingredients. Mix on high until medium-stiff peaks.
Spoon rounded tablespoons of mixture onto baking sheet. For this treat I spread them to 1/4 inch height - maybe a 2" circle. Bake 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

On top of an Angel Bite I put about a tablespoon of Sugar-Free Custard from here: Sugar-Free Custard Sauce Recipe - Low-Carb Stirred Custard - Soft Egg Custard Without Sugar (I use all heavy cream.. not milk)

I top a second Angel Bite with a smear of Pillsbury Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge cake frosting. Put the two bites together in a "Chocolate Eclair" sandwich.

Mmmmmm.. those Angels come straight from heaven.

I figure them at about 1.5 net carbs each depending on your sugar substitute.

If you do a search for Angel Bites you can also find a recipe that uses a Banana cream filling but not all of us can handle banana.

G

·
@wink - those Angel Bites look like they'd be delicious.

I've not used sweetners for a while... as here they now sell low GI sugar (LoGiCane). If I'm baking I tend to use that instead. I'm hoping they sell this world wide eventually as I think it's much better than sweetners for you. Of course it's a carb but you just watch your portion size.... but you don't get the sudden spike in BGLs like you do with normal sugar. I do use it when I have a coffee too... I still can't drink coffee without some sweetness in it. But I don't have a lot of coffee at all.... maximum of 2 in a day or less. I'm not a tea drinker... very seldom have that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I'm having a tuff time finding my around the forum. How to post, how to reply but I appreciate your welcome and I hope I will learn some things here that will make managing diabetes easier. Right now I'm frustrated I can't take off any weight. I eat right, excercise minimum 3 times a week; don't eat pass 6:30 pm but the pounds just don't budge. I still weight in at 184 where as two years ago I had it down to about 168. So frustrating!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts