The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Planet 3, welcome! That is great, your 52'nd year. Have you applied for the Joslin Medal? There is a link explaining the Joslin Medalist program in the Diabetes forum here. The procedure for applying is shown there. I have been type 1 for 65 years and have received the 50 year medal. There is also a 75 year medal. Good luck to you in the years ahead! Here is the link:

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes/2370-how-become-joslin-medalist.html

You are very experienced with type 1. I hope you will join the discussions here and share your knowledge!

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
52 years with type 1.

Welcome! What are your secrets? That's amazing! Type one for 26 years myself. No pump. Just injections. Have you had any complications?
Pump really helps. No complications yet other than bouts of depression which is very linked to diabetes after so long a battle. I did get a heart stent for minor blockage in a ventricle. Type 1 and heart disease go hand in hand. Stay in touch.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: and congratulations on the 52 year mark!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I think the Minimed sensors are second rate compared to the Dexcom CGM. I have tried both. Some people get good results with the Minimed sensors, but there have been many complaints. I have rarely heard complaints about Dexcom. There is no CGM at the present time that gives results that compare closely to our meters all the time. There are times they disagree as much as 30 or more points. The CGM is valuable though in other ways. The Dexcom will indicate if your glucose level is rising or falling, and tells how fast the change is happening. That allows you to take action and prevent a troublesome high or low from occurring. The CGM can also be set to alarm when you are going toolow, or too high. I have set mine to alarm if I reach 60 at the low end, and 140 as a high. It will wake you up at night if you have dropped to the low level, wherever you have it set. The problem is, sometimes there are false alarms and you are not as low or high as the CGM says. You have to use your meter to check it out.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
New member who just passed the 52 year mark with type 1. So far, so good.
Hello and welcome to the forum! How long have you had diabetes? There is a wealth of information on here, read what interests you? If you can't find something use the search box on the forum page. I hope you will feel comfortable here and visit often. Take care.

G

·
welcome Planet3 :) it's nice to know there are people who are living a long life with this disease. I'm type 2 on full time insulin, not pumping though. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.