The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to the community. I'm type 1 with pcos.
I would appreciate any advise on understand carb counting or if there is a diet I can go on to lose wieght but appropriate with taking insulin.
I also have pcos with 2 failed IUI's.

If there is anyone else in the same situation, I would love to chat.
This is so hard to deal with and I feel unless you're in the same situation, how can others understand or get use to the needles and constant pricking of your fingers for your sugar levels.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello,
I would appreciate any advise on understand carb counting or if there is a diet I can go on to lose wieght but appropriate with taking insulin.

This is so hard to deal with and I feel unless you're in the same situation, how can others understand or get use to the needles and constant pricking of your fingers for your sugar levels.

Thank you.

Hello and :welcome: to the forum. There is a wealth of information here on the forum, so read what interests you. If you can't find a topic use our search button function found on the forum page. There is a lot of information on carb counting on here. I hope that you visit often and take care.

G

·
Hello,

Thank you.
welcome Prema :) I'm type 2 on insulin and I also have pcos. I was diagnosed with both conditions in 1998. I can sort of empathise (I'm not type 1). I did initially lose 20kgs... but my weight has gone up 10kgs and I've struggled to lose weight in recent years. But the good news for me as that I haven't gained weight for at least 5 or more years now which I'm relieved about. Basically having pcos and diabetes makes it harder to lose weight... both are hormonal conditions. I also have been on a rollercoaster ride of infection after infection, then I recently got diagnosed with functional dyspepsia also (probably from all the tonne of meds I've taken). Feel free to ask any questions you like. The thing is that we're all so different and what works for some, doesn't work for others. You really need to find what works for you. Eg. for me I find I need to eat carbs, but grain carbs and dairy carbs work way better for me than vegetable carbs.... that's just my findings. Increasing fat intake (especially meat) doesn't work for me as my LDL increases. You really need to investigate what foods work well for you using your glucometer. Also I started out with light exercise myself (mainly walking) when I was first diagnosed and I lost 20kgs in a year. I microwaved all my food for cooking (I didn't add any fats to my food at all). I kept a food diary during that time and wrote down everything I ate (including snacks). This forum is a great place for support and advice. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hello,

Thank you.
Hi there and welcome to the forum!

I am an insulin dependant T2 and I also have PCOS. There is a correlation with PCOS and diabetes you might google it and read up on it. We can all understand the finger poking and needles...you actually do get used to it. I check my blood sugar on average 5-8 times a day depending on whats going on and I dont even really feel it anymore. Insulin injections are a nuisance sometimes but not really painful much and again...you get used to it. :)

What type of insulin regimen are you on? You are T1 so I assuming you are using a basal insulin and a fast acting one to cover your meals? Do they have you on a sliding scale for meals or are you using an insulin-to-carb ratio to determine your meal time insulin dose? That is really the best way to go and gives you the best coverage. If you are using a ratio, a low carb diet is an excellent way to lose weight and still maintain good insulin coverage for your meals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THank you so much - all of you for responding and sharing.
Though I've been on insulin for a few years, I've only recently learned that the amount of insulin you need is dependent on the amount of food you've eaten.
In all honesty, I am not a healthy eater but do try to make a conscious decision when eating out. I find when I am bother or depressed, the only thing that gives me satisfaction is something full of sugar! :-((((
I have had two failed IUI's and attempting another one shortly.
I do think my weight is a factor and def. need to lose some more.
I"m 5'2, 160 - YIKES!
I'm hoping to upload a pic - if only I can figure out how.
AGain - thank you soooo much for your response. It is amazing to read how many people are dealing with this and how supportive you all are for each other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts