The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was just diagnosed with diabetes type 2 on september 27, 2009. I went in for standard lab tests and came back with an 11.3 A1C and an average sugar of 355. This was scary but non unexpected as i'm quite heavy and unhealthy. I weighed 302 lbs on september 13, 2009.

My initial fasting sugars were in the high 400's, once in the 500's and usually at night around 350.

After being referred to an endocronologist and put on lantus at night (starting at 10 units and going up 2 every 3 days), byetta (5 micrograms twice daily) and a strict diet and daily hour walks I am now down to 273 lbs. and my fasting sugar is in the 130's and after my walks typically in the 70's. My body apparently responds to diet and exercise very well. My doctors can't even believe it and i'm not starving myself. My goal weight is 180 hopefully by mid next year and to be back to normal A1C levels.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and thank you in advance for your support.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome aboard! You are off to a great start. Many Tpe 2's are able to lose their weight, eat right and exercise every day and then control their diabetes without any medication. That would be great if you can do that. Keep up the good work.

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, richard. i've been reading a lot of your posts and you seem to be an encyclopedia of everything diabetes. i'm sure i'll be consulting you often.

nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts