The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Welcome to the forum sorry you had to join us. But don't worry it will get easier with time and chances are after you get use to the changes you will feel happier and healthier then ever.

Your best friend for a while will be food labels, look at the back of foods and start watching the carbohydrate counts. Also if you eat out a lot I recommend looking at the menus online of your favorite places and starting to put together a few different meal options there.

Generally salads are a great filler for most meals they help you feel more full and are low in Carbs just watch what type of dressing you use. I personally love balsamic Vinaigrette.

Look for alternatives to bread, there are some sprout bread or even tortilla shells that are low in carbs you can make wraps out of those that will reduce your carb count on a sandwich.

· Registered
90 Posts
Also watch your drink choices, drinks are the quickest way to load up on carbs... a can of regular soda will run about the same amount of carbs as meal should be. I personally would rather enjoy a meal then drink it. So choose drinks like coffee, unsweetened tea, diet sodas, etc

Also when a produce says "sugar free" or "no sugar added" look at the back all that means is there is no more sugar put into it except what was already in it. when reading a food label take the total carbohydrate count... subtract the fiber and any sugar alcohol from the count and that tells you the carbohydrate value of the food...

start with round the neighborhood of 40-50 grams of Carbohydrates per meal and 10-15 per snack.

Your dietitian will work with you to get the numbers right for you but that will get you started for the next 7 weeks.

· Registered
90 Posts
With respect to the more smaller meals, from what I have heard it will help you lose weight too by keeping your metabolism running. The reason we tend to gain weight in our older age is because our metabolism slows down, among other things. Consistent exercise can also help because it boosts your metabolism too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.