The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
71 years old ... Memphis, TN ... Used to be 6'-1", now 6'-0", age related shrinkage :), BMI of 29 at last physical & blood sugar of 130 ... told me I was pre-diabetic ... new diet, lose weight, add exercise, etc. ... said sitting all day as I do is more dangerous than the pre-diabetes ... get off my butt and start moving :eek: ... crave carbs late afternoon and all evening ... wake up most nights at about 3:00 AM and eat some more ... sugar-insulin-sugar cycle is training my brain to eat more ... Doesn't sound like I learned much in 71 years ...

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Well, it's all relative. I've learned even less in my 60 years - wanna trade BMIs?

My carb cravings were out of control the last couple of years, and it was only after being diagnosed with diabetes and doing reading that I let myself off the hook for them. When I was first diagnosed, I was as ignorant as most people about diabetes and told people, ashamedly, "I got diabetes because I couldn't stop comfort-eating carbs..." I had a lot of caretaking stress and assigned all sorts of psychological reasons for the cravings. Now I know better. You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes!

You're in good shape it sounds like - reasonable BMI, not outrageous blood sugar, all easily manageable with a few modest changes. 10 years ago I was more like you, but didn't know about pre-diabetes and would never have reached the point where I am (retinal issues likely due to diabetes) had I known.

I think you learned plenty in 71 years :)

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, RealW8Loss. Tell us what carby foods you are craving and we can give you a low carb substitute for most of them. You might want to check out our recipe section where you'll find everything from low carb pumpkin pie to pizza. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, RealW8Loss. Sounds like you picked up a few pearls in 71 years. With the government for the last 50-60 years pumping high-carb/low-fat propaganda, no darn wonder we're all in the diabetic shape we're in!

There really ARE some good substitutions for the worst of the carby carbs. I've even conquered the cold cereal problem by mixing various chopped nuts & eating them with diluted cream - sweetened with just a tad of artificial sweetener.

Look over our 'what's for dinner' thread to get ideas of how we eat, & whether you cook or not, the recipes board might contain a thing or two to trip your trigger.

Thanks for joining us . . . take care & visit often!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts