The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed at end of Jan, 1st of Feb of this year with an A1c of 9.1; 7.2 at the end of June and have been taking Janumet 50/1000 twice a day. My Internist told me he couldn't treat me anymore after I complained about the Metforformin side effects. He started me out on 1500mg right off the bat (I see now that he shouldn't have done that). I was planning on going to an Endo, but would have appreciated a little time to find one. Well, the dr was kind of a jerk anyway, so nothing lost! Anyway, I have been reading this site since my diagnosis but what with trying to adjust to the drugs (6 weeks) and constantly seeing news reports and articles about what "losers" type 2s are I just didn't feel like it. Now that I'm over the initial shock, although not an unexpected diagnosis, and am able to put the food police in their place I feel like I would actually like to be part of a group instead of a lone wolf type. So greetings to all and I hope I didn't screw up my post as I'm posting from my ipad app for the first time!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I agree with being part of a group.. especially with a diagnosis like Diabetes. It's great to have people that understand what you are going though.. more importantly, where they don't judge you.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's a wonder we don't all just pack it in what with all the jerky docs & twirpy pundits who don't know jack about type 2s, not even to mention those gawd-awful food police! Sounds like you have things well in hand though, MPH, and I think you'll fit right in here! (if your doc got po'ed that you complained about the met, I can imagine how he'd fare with some more of us around here - many of us don't give docs the adoration they've come to expect . . . :rolleyes: indeed we're liable to give them a pretty hard time if they get too arrogant with us . . . one of our primary suggestions is often Stand up to the docs! :cool:)

Come in here & make yourself at home - glad to meet you & I hope this is the beginning of a good long friendship.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Welcome. I have been type 2 since 2006 and my brother was diagnosed a few months ago; but, HE KNOWS IT ALL. He has tried to fill everyone's heads with the idea that I am a diabetic because I don't try hard enough. He has dropped 40 lbs since diagnosis, what he doesn't tell people is that happened BECAUSE he quite drinking a 24 pack of sugar drinks A DAY and eating enough for 5 people. DUH. But of course he thinks he is right. :eek:hwell: Oh yeah, and he quit drinking, and he used to spend his whole paycheck on booze.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HI ALL.AM 73 M , TYPE @ DIABETIC FOR OVER 25 YRS BUT STILL MANAGING WITH ORAL PILLS.MY DOSE HAS BEEN INCREASING OVER THE YEARS THOUGH. I AM PRESENTLY ON zOMELIS mET ( VILDAGLIPTIN 50 +METFORMIN 500/1000 AND 2MG GLYREE( gLIMEPRIDE). mY DIABETES IS REASONABLY UNDER CONTROL BUT POST MEALS TENDS TO SHOOT UP. LAST HBA1C VALUE WAS 6.7.I KEEP MONITORING QUITE REGULARLY. MY FEELING IS THAT IT IS PERSONAL LACK OF CONTROL OVER FOOD HABITS THAT CAUSES BS TO RISE. I HAVE A SWEET TOOTH AND I DO TEND TO EAT SWEETS. BUT YES, I DO WALK 2 TO 3 KM ALMOST DAILY. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SHARE ADVICE / EXPERIENCE FROM WELL INFORMED MEMBERS. REGARDS
S K PUNJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
A small correction-i am type 2 diabetic from delhi , india..i want to know more about vildagliptin +metformin tablets. This has not yet been approved by fda but is prescribed in europe

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Mrspotatohead : Welcome to the forum. We all hope you'll be able to get things under control very soon. It's great to be a part of this group. You'll learn a lot and make great friends

Have a look at the blood sugar 101 website to learn things quickly

Blood Sugar 101

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Sarv: You should find details of the medicines at the following link

Blood Sugar 101

I am on the same medicine at the moment and trying hard to get rid of the Vildagliptin

A small correction-i am type 2 diabetic from delhi , india..i want to know more about vildagliptin +metformin tablets. This has not yet been approved by fda but is prescribed in europe

·
Registered
7 Posts
sarv said:
HI ALL.AM 73 M , TYPE @ DIABETIC FOR OVER 25 YRS BUT STILL MANAGING WITH ORAL PILLS.MY DOSE HAS BEEN INCREASING OVER THE YEARS THOUGH. I AM PRESENTLY ON zOMELIS mET ( VILDAGLIPTIN 50 +METFORMIN 500/1000 AND 2MG GLYREE( gLIMEPRIDE). mY DIABETES IS REASONABLY UNDER CONTROL BUT POST MEALS TENDS TO SHOOT UP. LAST HBA1C VALUE WAS 6.7.I KEEP MONITORING QUITE REGULARLY. MY FEELING IS THAT IT IS PERSONAL LACK OF CONTROL OVER FOOD HABITS THAT CAUSES BS TO RISE. I HAVE A SWEET TOOTH AND I DO TEND TO EAT SWEETS. BUT YES, I DO WALK 2 TO 3 KM ALMOST DAILY. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SHARE ADVICE / EXPERIENCE FROM WELL INFORMED MEMBERS. REGARDS
S K PUNJ
Hi all,
As reported above, I was on zomelismet met 50/500 bd plus glimepride .2 mg od plus ppt( voglibose) bd but my control was not good. I changed over to zomelismet met 50/1000 in the morning and 50/500 at dinner, omitting glyree( glimepride).voglibose was reduced to od from bd. I find significant improvement in the control of my blood sugar. I think I have not exceeded the max permissible dose of Zomelismet me t. Any comments?
Sarv

·
Registered
7 Posts
sarv said:
Hi all,
As reported above, I was on zomelismet met 50/500 bd plus glimepride .2 mg od plus ppt( voglibose) bd but my control was not good. I changed over to zomelismet met 50/1000 in the morning and 50/500 at dinner, omitting glyree( glimepride).voglibose was reduced to od from bd. I find significant improvement in the control of my blood sugar. I think I have not exceeded the max permissible dose of Zomelismet me t. Any comments?
Sarv
Hi all. I was wondering how good synthetic sweeteners are for diabetics? Can anybody suggest? My information is that these do more harm than good.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Most of us use them. I prefer Truvia which is a form of Stevia. I don't use a lot, but certainly better for me than sugar.
Patdart, is the regular Stevia/Truvia granulated stuff really good? Does it compare to Splenda?

I tried a Stevia-sweetened lemon-lime pop a few weeks back, and it was horrid. To this day even the thought of it makes me barfy. :puke:

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
In my mind it is. I actually prefer it to Splenda, altho I use both. As in lots of things, YMMV. I don't use much of it since I find most recipes make things too sweet for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome mrspotatohead. I'm new too to the forum and for the same reason. Don't let what everybody that haven't experienced firsthand what you have gone through thinks bother you. You are a survivor-descended from a line of survivors with thrifty genes that lived through times of famine for generations. You can get through this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts