The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm not much of a forum type but I think I need the support of a place like this. I've had type 2 for years I'm 37 and about 270 lbs. I'm 6' 3' so while I don't always appear obese, I know I am. My bg has always been controlled through diet and meds. I had gotten used to not checking anymore. It's probably been years since I checked my sugars. Anyway, I am a musician, and started sweating like crazy while playing. Like buckets of sweat. And I didn't feel that hot. So after this past weekend of looking like I've gone swiming after a gig. I put batteries in my tester and all my levels are very high. I used to test high around 140 after eating, now I'm high 200s hours after eating. I think its time to take this serious as I can now see that its getting worse. Can use any help and support I can get.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Are you still on any meds, DB? Prob'ly the next one you should take into your confidence is your doc, in case you need dosage adjusted or anything new added to the plan. We're here to give you all the support we can . . . and there are some really wise, knowledgeable & experienced folk around here - they've kept me on the straight & narrow for a coupla years now. :cool:

When you give it some thought, can you come up with any other occasional symptoms like numbness/tingling in feet/legs or blurry vision sometimes? Just wondering.

Y'know you can get started controlling this right now without waiting to see the doc; just ditch the carbs in your diet - that may be how you controlled it before, so give it a try again. No bread, potatoes, pasta, rice or any other grains like wheat, oats, etc. Start building your meals around protein & fat. Yes, fat. It'll drop your BG and start taking the pounds off you, because when you stop supplying carbs for energy, you body will have to convert to fat, and bingo. It isn't the dietary fat that makes us fat, it's the carbs and always has been. Your doc may not believe this, and there are plenty of others who still insist that we just GOTTA have carbs to fuel our bodies, but that's just so much horse hockey. Try a week of low-carb/high-fat, and see if you don't see results.

Take care & thank you for joining us.

p.s. are you by any chance on FaceBook?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, dogbite. I can't tell you how many new members we have had who let their Diabetes go and woke up in the hospital. I'm glad you didn't let things get to that point and glad you have decided to take control. If you have any questions, ask away. We have many knowledgable and helpful members. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Well I started today with very few carbs. I had 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast. A banana at 10, an apple at 2. I then had more eggs at 5 only because I hadn't had a chance to shop. Wondering if I need more food. I have a headache all day. I've been drinking water and had a black ice coffee. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks guys. Well I started today with very few carbs. I had 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast. A banana at 10, an apple at 2. I then had more eggs at 5 only because I hadn't had a chance to shop. Wondering if I need more food. I have a headache all day. I've been drinking water and had a black ice coffee. Just throwing it out there.
Your headache may be carb withdrawal already - it happens. In fact, the Atkins low-carb/high-fat program even provided a name for it: Atkins flu. :D

You'll need to be sure you get enough to eat - you're a big fella & there's no need to go hungry on the low-carb/high-fat plan. Others here can provide more specific numbers, but don't worry about calories - just keep track of the carbs. You don't have to keep track of the fats either, because they don't raise bg. You can add fat to your diet by using real dairy butter, real dairy cream, sour cream, cream cheese, full fat mayonnaise, and BACON! . . . all these things help keep our bg down & also keep us feeling full for quite awhile after the meal is over.

It would be good if you'd test about an hour after you've eaten anything - it will show you which foods spike you over 140 mg/dl, in which case you might want to avoid those foods. When you mentioned the banana, that's one that shoots my bg over the moon, and even the apple would spike me unless I piled about a cupful of peanut butter on it! ;) Fruits and grains are two of the biggest offenders in spiking BG. Better choices for snacks are nuts, olives, celery stuffed with cream cheese or peanut butter, string cheese sticks, beef sticks, pork rinds, deviled eggs, hot wings (no breading of course) . . . all very low or no-carb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think the headache is withdrawal. I joke that my drug is carbs. That I would sell my body for a box of ziti if I had to. I would steal from my sister to buy a quart of Lo mein. I read that kiwi is a good fruit for diabetics. It's high fiber and helps to regulate bg? Are you sure the atkins diet isn't too harmful? I mean I know its prob better than 300 bg levels but in the long term won't that hurt me? The clogged arteries and such?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That's the thing - the Atkins-type of diet does NOT clog anyone's arteries. That's the fallacy that's been foisted on us for the last 50 years! It was based on deception to begin with, and the myths persist that fat is bad. Fat is NOT bad - even saturated fat is NOT bad. The only bad fat is trans fat, and even that is not entirely true, because there are natural trans fats which occur in meat & dairy products and have scant effect on our lipids. Run a Google search for Ancel Keys, and you'll find the genesis of the bad fats hoax.

My drug was definitely carbs - bread first, potatoes second and pasta third. Then when sushi reached American shores, sticky rice began to climb to the top . . . talk about a carb addict!

I dunno about kiwi . . . what I've done to separate the wheat from the chaff is use my meter after eating & whatever foods spiked me over 140, I started cutting back or eliminating completely. I can eat a few berries, but most other fruits are off my menus.

Yeah I think the headache is withdrawal. I joke that my drug is carbs. That I would sell my body for a box of ziti if I had to. I would steal from my sister to buy a quart of Lo mein. I read that kiwi is a good fruit for diabetics. It's high fiber and helps to regulate bg? Are you sure the atkins diet isn't too harmful? I mean I know its prob better than 300 bg levels but in the long term won't that hurt me? The clogged arteries and such?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Kiwi is a good fruit, but I doesn`t eat more than one small kiwi each day, and I eat it together with nuts, because the fat in the nuts will help not give my BG a peak.
Kiwi has 10,6 carbohydrates for each 100 gram, but the glycemic load for one small kiwi is just 3.
The black seeds in the kiwi is rich in omega 6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know. I'm trying. I've definitely made up my mind I'm going to get healthy. I really think this community here is the answer. No one to judge. Just help. I appreciate it. Oh. Avocado. Is that a good food to eat. I love those. I need to eat more veggies. But I don't love a ton of em.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Avocados are tremendous! I often have one for breakfast - and it's my favorite snack food.

I wish they weren't so expensive now, but I was joking with someone just the other day about my food budget and how I needed a separate line item for avocados!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm not a great veggie person either, DB, so I just take the highest fiber ones & forget about the rest. The other thing I do is drown them in butter & fatty sauces. My salads get doused with bleu cheese dressing; hollandaise sauce is a food group all its own, as is cheese sauce. Gravies of all kinds are nectar of the gods - just don't make them with milk. Milk is off my plan entirely . . . I use dairy cream diluted with water for anything that calls for milk. Milk is loaded with carbs (lactose), but glorious cream has next to none. Forget the non-dairy whitening powder in your coffee - use really honest-to-goodness heavy dairy cream.

And YES! Avocados! Mashed, smashed, sliced, diced - just a dash of salt is all I need with avocado.

And DB? If you eat to keep your BG under control, the weight will come off. Put your BG first & the other things will fall into place as your BG drops & stabilizes. It seems counter-intuitive, but the low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating really does take the weight off, as well as keeping blood sugar under control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perfect. I think I can deal. I have been having salads for lunch too. Is there a forum or place here where we all just chit chat, like a diabetes Facebook? I just want to make sure I'm involved and also not using forum incorrectly.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Perfect. I think I can deal. I have been having salads for lunch too. Is there a forum or place here where we all just chit chat, like a diabetes Facebook? I just want to make sure I'm involved and also not using forum incorrectly.
I believe the Diabetes Lounge is for just general talk. I don't think that there is a chat room. You can tell if someone is online though because the green will be lit on their left side name and stats.

Welcome to the DF! Come on in, sit down with a hot cup of joe (heavy cream only now) and ask any questions, vent or rant about something, or just read and post. Lots of great info and some really awesome recipes (by the way, I made that chocolate mug cake the other night, and it was to die for, and it didn't push my bg's up by much!!! I'll surely make that one again!).

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Nothing wrong with the way you're using the forum . . . we all just post whatever we have to say & others respond as they come along. At this point we haven't installed a chat room, but sometimes the boards get busy enough that it seems like chat! I set my bookmark for "new posts", and then keep reloading so I'm getting the quickest turn around.

As naynay says, the Diabetes Forum Lounge is open for all kinds of topics, so feel free to start up new threads or jump into existing ones. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Shanny...Just want to make sure please.... ? You say that fat is not responsible for weight gain, but if I eat more fat than what my body can burn in terms of calories I assume this will lead to weight gain? Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
As a thumb rule you can eat as much fat you like if your carbohydrates is less than 72 each day.
But some persons have to look at their calories as well.
Most people I know who lives LCHF and eat under 72 carbs, eat as much fat they can, but if there is a weight gain or they dont lose weight, they start to see if they eat to many calories.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Shanny...Just want to make sure please.... ? You say that fat is not responsible for weight gain, but if I eat more fat than what my body can burn in terms of calories I assume this will lead to weight gain? Am I wrong?
If you stop eating carbs, then the only source of energy your body has is fats & protein. Your body will take the fats first because it's easiest. So stop eating carbs and you won't have to worry about fats causing weight gain. Read through Salim's posts . . . he's eating all the fats he can eat & it's keeping him in ketosis so he knows he's burning it. It isn't putting weight on him.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering what would happen if one eats a few thousand calories from fat and virtually zero from proteien and zero from carbs. It is generally accepted if your calorie intake is more than what is necessary for one's basal metabolic rate + daily activities, one would gain weight. So if i require say 2500 cal per day to maintain my weight and daily activities, what will happen to my weight if I consume fat the value of 10000 cal every day?

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering what would happen if one eats a few thousand calories from fat and virtually zero from proteien and zero from carbs. It is generally accepted if your calorie intake is more than what is necessary for one's basal metabolic rate + daily activities, one would gain weight. So if i require say 2500 cal per day to maintain my weight and daily activities, what will happen to my weight if I consume fat the value of 10000 cal every day?
Why would you ingest 10,000 calories, knowing you only need 2500? Just to prove a point? If you eat 10,000 calories of ANYthing, you'll gain weight - why select fats when carbs will do it quicker?

What is "generally accepted" isn't always "generally" correct. Case in point, this ridiculous business about fat being bad which was begun by an unscrupulous researcher (Ancel Keys) who manipulated the data to conform to his preconceived notion. People took him at his word, and his word was fabrications, lies and deception.

Now if you're going to eat in excess of 3# of butter per day, will you be taking that solid, with a spoon . . . or melted, so you can drink it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts