Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  twplunk 
G
#1 ·
Just found this forum today, hope to find good info.

#10 ·
These are both antioxidants . . . the milk thistle helps build up the liver & the coconut oil is a medium-chain triglyceride (as opposed to most other oils which are long-chain triglycerides) which combats atherosclerosis and arteriosclerosis, as well as having many other health benefits, too many to describe here. Just Google benefits of eating coconut oil.

Since diabetes affects both liver and cardio-vascular system, it could be considered preventive care against complications of diabetes.

G
#3 ·
Have been diabetic for 10+years, currently using 54iu Lantus/day, 9units of Apedra/meal and Actos 45mg/Day. Just started diet along with membership in gym and have lost 9lbs in last month. started at 233lbs and currently at 224.

G
#5 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I have been on so many different oral meds that would work for a while then not work. having better luck with Lantus and Apidra but still have days that even with same foods and same dosage @ same times BG goes high.

#6 ·
Welcome to the DF twplunk. Isn't it annoying and aggravating when this happens? I've had the same problem. I guess our body's are not always the same. I had to go to the department store today, and I checked my bg's before leaving (147). I had nothing to eat while out shopping, was gone for approximately 2 hours, and I get home and check my bg's before dinner, 185? Now how in the heck...I didn't even eat anything! It just is not fair. Hope things continue to get better for you.

#13 ·
I just found out this week I am diabetic. I figured once I was on meds and took them I would not have to worry about them stopping. I hope that does not happen to me. Started my meds yesterday for the first time. I was so shaky at lunch today at work. I was embarrassed and scared. I wonder if it was my meds. Took a pill this morning. Metformin 500 mg.My mom is a diabetic. She said just give the meds a chance because I am new to this experience.

#16 · (Edited)
You're in the right place - there are just some extraneous posts got between us . . . scroll on down & you'll find our conversation.

p.s. I've been ordering my coconut oil online. If you order from Amazon, it qualities for their free shipping thing ("super saver shipping" or something like that), so you just pay for the product. There are other sites that charge minimal shipping - like $4.95 max for whatever you order. Netrition & Honeyville do this & I'm sure there are others.

G
#17 · (Edited)
Thanks Shanny I found coconut oil locally but is kind of high will look on amazon I buy a lot of stuff from there.
few minutes later: I just ordered 1quart for $20.95 is that reasonable? A lot cheaper than local Fresh Market.

By the way I make a fiber smoothy w/fiber, yogurt, ice&water will prob. add coconut oil to this.

G
#19 ·
I use orange flavored metamucil in mine because I add a vitamin powder that is also orange flavored(just realized I didn't include the vitamin in original post) but you can use the unflavored kind and add a flavored yogurt just pop in blender for a minute or two. I just thought the coconut oil would add a little body along with the yogurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.