The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
John, thank you so much for the encouragement! I will definitely follow up and see if I i can improve over time. Your time and reply is greatly appreciated! This forum has been wonderful support for a beginner! Patti

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It is of some importance that you begin testing one hour after your meals as well as two. There are occasional exceptions, but most of us spike before the two-hour interval elapses. We know that doctors suggest (if they suggest testing at all, and usually they don't) two hours, but we who live with the disease find greater success using eat-to-your-meter guidelines.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I do have another question! When I first started taking Metformin I was eating way too many carbs (40-50) per meal and experienced extreme clamminess! Now I am eating 30-45 per day and still have mild and/or fleeting clamminess. Is this to be expected or am I still eating too many carbs? Will this be life long or can I modify it? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It is of some importance that you begin testing one hour after your meals as well as two. There are occasional exceptions, but most of us spike before the two-hour interval elapses. We know that doctors suggest (if they suggest testing at all, and usually they don't) two hours, but we who live with the disease find greater success using eat-to-your-meter guidelines.
Thanks Shanny! No my Dr did not recommend testing! This forum did and I will be forever grateful! I will test at 1 and 2 hours. I appreciate the direction. Patti

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I do have another question! When I first started taking Metformin I was eating way too many carbs (40-50) per meal and experienced extreme clamminess! Now I am eating 30-45 per day and still have mild and/or fleeting clamminess. Is this to be expected or am I still eating too many carbs? Will this be life long or can I modify it? Thanks for any help!
Possible answers: 1. Could be too many carbs still. Maybe under 30g per day may help. 2. Many GI issues with met pass in time. So it could be this. 3. Extended release version of met tends to have fewer GI issues. Not sure if you're on regular release or extended. These are just some things off the top of my head. Others may have more ideas. Sent from my iPhone

ETA: almost forgot. 4. Try experimenting with taking met at different times of the day, with food or without, all at once or splitting, right before bed or right after waking are some ideas. You may just need to figure out the best way and time to take it for YOU.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
David, thanks for the response. I assume I am taking regular Metformin. It says Metformin HCL 500 MG. I can check with the Pharmacist. You have given many things to explore and I really appreciate it. Patti

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am having trouble keeping my fasting blood glucose under 100. I was diagnosed in August (7.4 BG) and my 1st A1C was 6.1 at the end of November. I am eating LCHF and trying to stay under 30 carbs per day. I was eating a cheese snack at night and thought that might be the problem. Two mornings ago with nothing to eat after dinner my fasting BG was 99. But last night I had no snack and this morning the BG reading was 109. Can anyone make some suggestions? Thanks.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I am having trouble keeping my fasting blood glucose under 100. I was diagnosed in August (7.4 BG) and my 1st A1C was 6.1 at the end of November. I am eating LCHF and trying to stay under 30 carbs per day. I was eating a cheese snack at night and thought that might be the problem. Two mornings ago with nothing to eat after dinner my fasting BG was 99. But last night I had no snack and this morning the BG reading was 109. Can anyone make some suggestions? Thanks.
the 99 and 109 fall within your meters range of error so they're essentially the same reading.

Also the fasting number is notoriously slow to change. Just concentrate on your after meal numbers for now. It can a long time for fasting to catch up to rest.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts