The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - my name is Tara. I don't have diabetes, but my niece who is now 22 has had it since she was 4 - Type I

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Tara, welcome to our community! I hope your niece is doing well. Do you have questions for us? we are here to help.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 in 1945 when I was 6. I have had diabetes for 63 years and I am very healthy. Tell your niece that she can take good care of herself and maybe live to be a healthy old geezer like me. Lol!

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Richard. She actually is not doing that great lately. She's been in and out of the hospital with ketoacidosis. Seems like every time she gets a virus, she ends up with this and needs to be in ICU for a few days. She trys so hard to take care of herself, we just don't understand why this is happening. Have you ever had DKA before?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I don't know if I have Tara. For many years I never heard of ketoacidosis and I could not test my blood sugar either. The blood check meters and ketone strips were introduced within the last two decades but I was diabetic starting in 1945. I do not have ketoacidosis now because I have good control with my insulin pump. Does your niece usa a pump? She might want to consider using one. Pumping has a lot to offer and gives much better control than injections. It would not prevent highs from ketoacidosis though.

I hope she will talk to an endocrinologist about her problem. I have not heard of a diabetic having to be hospitalized with ketoacidosis resulting from a virus. There has to be a solution to this problem.

Richard

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi - my name is Tara. I don't have diabetes, but my niece who is now 22 has had it since she was 4 - Type I
Hello Tara :), A nice name that's fit for a lady. :D Welcome to DF
I see that you have a niece who has diabetes for 18 years OMG!!! :(

She trys so hard to take care of herself, we just don't understand why this is happening. Have you ever had DKA before?
I have Tara and I can tell you it's definitely not a nice feeling. :(:( As you feel like crap!!! no energy and moody. :(
She is not taking enough insulin!! and to do this is to increase the doses gradually and test at least 5 times a day before she eats and don't look at exercise just yet. Also look at the food that you eat as Carbohydrates is the main factor that will move up Blood Glucose & carbs is not at all bad!!! it's not matching the food to insulin is the problem. ;):)

·
Registered
147 Posts
HI Tara,

Welcome to the site. I do hope that your niece is doing well. I have only been a diabetic (type I) for less than a year, but my dad was a type I since he was 18 months old.. I have watched how this disease riddles your life. I have never personally went DKA but have seen my father go through it and I am taking every measure I can possible think of or do to not have that happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts