The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening from a new diabetic. I stumbled across the app for this site while looking for a new BG monitor app after my better half decided my phone was dirty and washed it. ;)

Anyway, found out I was diabetic the hard way, diabetic coma for three days and a week in the hospital back in October. First A1c test when I got out was a 15+. Down to 6.2 at last checkup last week.

Hope to be able to contribute to the community and discussions!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi David, welcome to DF. This is a great site for all diabetics and their families. We all try to help each other out.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Whoa - from over 15 to 6.2 in less than 3 months? You did some work to get there - what meds? what diet? what what? Are you type 1 or 2? Great job - both on gaining control, and on attaching smilies to discussion of your phone getting washed. (That's hysterical!)

With what you've gone through and accomplished the last months, I'd say you've a heap to contribute - looking forward to hearing more.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I am also new here but the information and help from these members are totally awesome! WOW what an accomplishment you have made it three months. How did you do it?

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as what I've done these past weeks (hard to say months since it's been such a short time) is nothing special. I've gone on a 1800 Calorie diet where, due to my exercise regimen, at least 10,000 steps a day, I have about 75g of carbs per meal. I see that may be high for some but my doctor doesn't seem to mind and is actually quite pleased with how things are progressing.

I just got my medication changed last week. I was on Lantus 40/20 with Novalog as needed on an aggressive sliding scaleand checking BG 4 times a day. At my last checkup doc changed Lantus to 20/20 and changed the Novalog to normal sliding scale.

As for which type... don't know yet. Still on honeymoon period. Though with some of the trends I am showing he is starting to lean toward severe T2.

I hope that answers things for now

G

·
Hello David and welcome to the Diabetes Forum. As you have already found out, everyone here is friendly - and inquisitive about your diabetes and its management, but that's just so we can help. I'm also newly-diagnosed and also wearing a pedometer constantly so I can get 10,000 + steps a day. It was quite easy while I was at work in a 'sedentary' job, but now I'm home all day I have to make sure I get over 7,000 steps in my morning walk to make it possible to get to 10,000.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the machine David.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm glad you can eat 75 carbs per meal. But many of us are type 2's not on insulin so we have to severly limit our carbs otherwise bgs creep past 140. Many of us don't limit calories, just carbs. I found the best thing that I did was give up wheat. My middle age belly is almost totally gone and bgs rarely go up past 110. Since I have to pay for all my medications, I want to stay off insulin as long as possible.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jwags said:
I'm glad you can eat 75 carbs per meal. But many of us are type 2's not on insulin so we have to severly limit our carbs otherwise bgs creep past 140. Many of us don't limit calories, just carbs. I found the best thing that I did was give up wheat. My middle age belly is almost totally gone and bgs rarely go up past 110. Since I have to pay for all my medications, I want to stay off insulin as long as possible.
It's not necessarily that I can eat that many carbs, it's that I have to eat that many to keep my bg level above 100. As my doctor and I work thru the honeymoon period my diet, medication, and exercise all will change. I don't see my diet staying like it is for much longer but I will enjoy it while I can.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jwags said:
It's not that I CAN eat that many carbs, it's that I HAVE to eat that many. Between my exercise regimen and making sure I keep my bg above 100, this is what me, my doctor, and my dietician devised... A low calorie, high carb, high fiber diet.

Remember, I'm still on the honeymoon period so I don't expect things to stay as they are, but will enjoy it while it lasts ;)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm not sure why your doc & dietitian think this is such an ideal arrangement, because in essence you are chasing the insulin.

If you're going too low, then the first option would be, in my opinion, to lower your insulin dosage - not eat more carbs. And being under 100 is not a danger zone. Normal non-diabetic people run about 70-110, regardless of what they eat, and well-managed diabetics can too.

How much are you allowed to test? If you begin to have a lot of trouble maintaining stable levels, or if you begin gaining weight, just remember that you - not your doc/dietitian - are the final authority & that the high-carb diet is peculiar to the ADA (even though they admit that low-carb is more effective) & medical community, but it is not normally the best management for type 2 diabetics. I'm happy that it's working for you now - I just want you to be cognizant of the pitfalls.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh don't worry, my insulin dosage has dropped by over 50%. I was taking 40/60 of Lantus and now I am down to 20/20.

One of the reasons to keep my BG above 100 is that below 90 I get very irritable and short tempered, so my doc wants to prevent that.

But the main reason we came up the plan was to help keep my levels normal thru my exercise regimen and into the night. Hence the limited calorie, high carb/fiber diet.

I don't expect to stat on this diet for long, I actually think in March at my next checkup my calorie, carb limits will go up and insulin will go down again since I will start the next phase of my exercise goals, at least as long as I stay on track and everyone on my medical team is happy.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
All diabetics when they are getting their bgs into a normal range will experience what we call "False Lows". I remember I would get them in the first 6 months at 140, then 120, then 110 then 90 and now I don't get them unless I get in the low 60's. The only way to deal with them is to work through them. As Shanny said we all aim for 70-110 most of the day for the best coverage. One thing doctors don't tell you is normal non D's keep their bgs in the 60-100 range most of the day and function very well. Many of the complications from D's come from too much insulin in your blood not the other way around. There is a disease called Hyperinsulmenia which accounts for a lot of Heart Disease. I would look into Metformin which works by making you more sensitive to your own insulin. Have you had a GAD 65 Antibody test and a C Peptide test done. I would think the only time you should be on insulin is if your C Peptide score is very low or if you have a positive result on the GAD test.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts