The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My Name is Scott and I have Diabetes (HI Scott)....sorry, just had to...

I've been on the diabetic timeline since an early age, metabolic syndrome, poor diet, good acty but eating too poorly. At 49 years old I had an A1c of 12.7 despite oral meds for over 12 years. So, While at work, I started some insulin. Since the end of the first week I have not had a FSBS of over 125. Hoping my new A1c reflects it. Weight loss of about 35 pounds, down to a svelt 206!

Hoping to find some recipe ideas and be/get support when needed. Scott

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just Joking!

Just Joking!

1998 seems to have been a good year for diabetes! There are a lot of us. :)

Did the shrinks read a magazine article advertizing a drug for depression and tried it in 1998? Or did doctors advocated massive weight loss so people lost some fat but a lot of muscle so their bodies could no longer store the carbs they were eating and thus became diabetic?

Just Joking of course :)

ColaJim

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Yeah, as Shanny says, "Hi'! Glad you found us and hope you'll share more and ask any 'dumb' question you have since a 'dumb' question is one you don't ask.

Good luck,

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, been in the medical field for nearly 30 years and finally started to take care of myself rather than just my patients. A1c on 10/31/11 was 12.7, A1c on 1/19/12 was 6.1 Total cholesterol is 116. Kidney and Liver functions all normal. Another 30 years of this and I should be fine ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Nice drop in A1C - way to hum! Besides going on insulin, what else did you do to get there?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Diet, Diet, Diet...low/no carbs, under 30 a day. I had a major mental shift that said food is fuel, no food as social, friendship, etc. I am learning that it is just fuel for the body and leave it at that. I made it through the worst season of the year without cheating once. I find that staring at my glucometer and having to justify the number to myself is highly motivating. I enjoy meat sticks, I enjoy sugar free jello with a couple of tablespoons of whipped cream, I have really started to enjoy coffee. I limit my helpings to one and a small one at that and.....I hope I can do this for the long run. I tend to run out of gas on these things over the long run. except for my education my wife and kids I seem to always get a bit bored and change. Hoping I can keep it up. My Health care provider is my best friend so we talk about it a lot. We'll see, let you know how ti goes in three months!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
This is my 3rd Diesel car and i find they require little maintenance. Hoping the same applies to my body! I intend to use this year to learn what more complicated foods I can eat rather than eating simply and drop my BG from 5.4 to near the 5.0 and that's like running on other than petrol, isn't it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts