The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m almost 65. I weigh 242 after losing 50 pounds this last year. All my life I’ve been on either a low carb or moderate carb diet. Due to many other Illnesses I went plant based (Neil Barnard, Micheal Greger, John McDougal) and 9 months ago I started water Fitness. I don’t take any meds and the SLE Lupus, gastric issues, depression, have reversed from being bedridden to exercise 90-150 minutes a day. In reviewing my lab work from two years ago discovered my AIC was 5.9 so I joined a diabetes prevention program at the YMCA. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and almost everyone on family has diabetes. My fasting glucose was 105 last week so I don’t exactly fit being diagnosed as having diabetes. On 1200-1500 calories, <50 grams of fat and <120 carbs a day I’m not losing anymore weight. I’m also tired all the time. I wake sweating at night and tremble on the inside. I don’t have high blood pressure. My Apple Watch/health app says I’m doing great. I log, weigh, and record every bite I put in my mouth and record it in an app that calculates all the nutrient values. Last weeks A1C was still 5.8. Yesterday I bought a meter to track my glucose along with food to see what I was eating was to blame. So far gluscose runs from 98-140. I’d rather eat like a diabetic now before I become one but because of my diet choice I’m having problems getting my carbs down. I joined to see if any diabetics can give me advice on how to adjust my diet, I suspect I can’t lose anymore is because my body is pumping out so much insulin to keep my glucose as low as it is. So feedback is welcome.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Hello, bespeck. Welcome to the forum!

You're smart to want to address your metabolic issues given your own history and that of your family. And congratulations on losing all that weight! I know how hard that is to do.

That said, diabetes has a few different formal forms and all of us experience it slightly differently. Some people with diabetes have a problem with producing appropriate amounts of insulin and some people with diabetes can produce more than enough insulin but the body does not shut down the regulation process at the right time.

You mentioned testing your blood glucose. It might be interesting to test it when you wake up at night sweating and feeling unsettled, to see what it is.

Without trying to pry, you've mentioned carbohydrate and fat intake but not protein intake. Can we ask how much that is? If it's at too low a level, that might explain the lack of energy. What might be the issues in cutting back on carbohydrates and (perhaps) bumping up your protein intake? Or even your fat intake? Is ketosis a problem for your other health issues? And have you been seeing a doctor for these symptoms?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Welcome bespeck. This is a great forum with very helpful people.

Hope you continue to post.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Another line of thought, what kind of blood tests did you already have?
I noticed (but I cannot give a scientific explanation) that my blood sugar tends to be higher when my thyroid medication dose is too low (I'm talking N=1 so statistically not relevant I guess, but with difficult weight loss I'd check the TSH anyway).
Furthermore, there seems to be a correlation between low vit. D and diabetes.

You say you don't take any medication; this implies you have DB type 2 I suppose? Have you tried taking Metformin? I was prescribed Metformin before I had any DB diagnosis at all (I had gestational db later) in order to lose weight, so certainly when your blood sugar values are off, I'd discuss this with your doctor unless you don't want to take medication at all.
I also read somewhere that even type 2's can after a while become insuline dependent (and type 1's can become more insuline resistent), so if all else has been eliminated as possible cause, it might be one more item to check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts