The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Canada,
Hi everyone,
My name is Adelaide. I am 76 years old, widow. I joined this forum about one month ago. I was diagnosed with Prediabetes, I will do my A1c's in August. I started faithfully testing my blood sugar and began to change my diet. Since Feb. 2021, I have lost 11 lbs. Today I weighed 128 lbs. Oh I am doing the low carb thing. I am new to this all, so I'm still figuring things out. For now diet alone is working for me. Gone are the pineapple, melon, bananas and watermelon I used to enjoy. It's hard to give up fruits. I eat Red Raspberries, Strawberries and kiwifruit. My PCP suggested I check WWW.dietdoctor.com. A heartfelt thank you to Steve that introduced the CARBONAUT-Keto bread. I buy the multi-grain seed bread. Now I can make a grilled cheese and French toast. Before that, I was eating Coconut Flour TORTILLAS, 3 pieces 28g of carbohydrate, 8g of fiber, and KETO crackers from innofoods organic. The bread and crackers I buy at Costco. Sometimes I fear diabetes, but God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of sound mind, and His super natural love.
Looking forward to getting to know everybody.
Wishing you all well with your D journey.
Adelaide

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Hello Adelaide, welcome to the forum. I think you will find lots of answers to any questions you may have on managing the "D" beast here.

Congrats on getting off to a good start on your BG management. Kudos to your PCP for being wise enough to steer you in a good direction, many just want to pass on the recommendations of the diabetes associations, which are way too high in carbs for most of us. Adhering to them inevitably leads to complications years down the road. Many of us here have used and referred others to dietdoctor.com for several years. It is a very good site for learning about a low carb diet. You should also check out our Diet and Nutrition Forum for ideas of new things to try but also maybe find a substitute for something you quit. I don't know if you like to cook or not, but you could check out the Recipe Forum for more ideas, we have had some very creative contributions. One of my early favorites were Optimist crackers. I know the more stuff we can make our selves, the less chance of surprise ingredients.

Some of us have found that we have had to give up many fruits, but we can still eat some in moderation. I found in addition to berries I can still eat some watermelon and cantaloupe, I just can't eat a quarter of a melon at one sitting.

I sometimes use an analogy comparing diabetes to a non-functioning cruise control on a car. Diabetes is something messing up in me that stops the auto control of my blood glucose, but like a car, I can still manually control the speed I want to go with how much I push down on the gas pedal or the brake pedal, there are things I can do to somewhat control what makes my BG go up and somewhat control most things that makes it come down. Diligent testing is the best way to find out what foods and what quantities are tolerable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello mbuster, Thank so much for your reply and words of wisdom!
Have a great day.
Adelaide

1 - 4 of 4 Posts