The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to this site and to having Type 2 Diabetes. The disease runs in my family, and I have seen it at its worst. My grandfather was a double amputee, and my great grandmother died before I was born because she refused to let them take her legs. Needless to say, my recent diagnosis has me scared, yet determined to avoid the fates of my elders.

I don't really understand the lingo and numbers yet, but my doctor said that according to my A1C, my blood sugar has been running over 300 for the last few months, and probably longer than that.

I have been taking Metformin 500 mg twice daily and I thought it was going to rip my insides out. I felt like I had been eating nails. I did some research and discovered a lot of other people had the same experience and found relief in some otc anti-d and gas-x. That has helped but now I have blurry vision. It is driving me crazy as I sit at a computer every day and I can hardly see it. I know it's related to my bs, which even on Metformin is almost 200 every morning. I know it could be worse, and I still need to give it some time to work, right? I have changed to a low carb low sugar diet but I'm very confused about what I should and shouldn't eat. I'm afraid if I deprive myself too much I will go on a massive sugar binge. My short term goal is to try to do whatever I can to avoid the needle!

If anyone has any advice about the blurry vision, etc. I sure would love to hear it. I'm very new at this and would love to hear from some veterans out there

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Mamashack, welcome to the forum. It was too long ago that I was in pretty much the exact same place you are.

My numbers were high, I was given Metformin (but 1000 mg 2x/daily - imagine those bathroom visits!), and was clueless what to eat. All I knew was that sugar was forbidden, and simple carbs probably weren't a good idea.

I had no idea many to most T2 diabetics can't manage fruit except berries and an occasional something, that whole grains were a problem, or even that milk was a carb.

For the first days I ate the stupidest things - celery sticks and cheese - and was afraid to touch much else. Basically meat, fish, nuts, veggies except the starchy ones, eggs - all are good. There's more, but those are the basics.

My strategy is to try and stay as close to that as possible, work on getting my numbers into more normal range, and then see what I might be able to add back in, if anything.

Yes, give Metformin time to work. Your doc might find s/he wants to increase it if your numbers stay high. My doc added glipizide, a med he doesn't care for particularly, but used to help get my numbers down in the beginning. I'm now able to be off of it and only on the Metformin.

Fortunately, my intense gastric problems are going away, though I still get some rumblings <sic> ... I'm keeping faith all will settle down. There is an extended release version that is easier on the system for those who end up not tolerating the other.

My vision was wacky for a while - 3 weeks is a common period of time though mine took closer to 5. That will right itself as your sugar stabilizes. My A1C was also high - a 14.7 which means something like a 380. We weren't in good shape, but now we're gonna get there, right?

Glad you're here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi & Welcome Mamashack!

As far as the blurry vision, I know it's caused by the higher elevations of your blood sugar, Rest assured, it will go back normal once your bs is regulated and down...it may take a couple of months. The same thing had happened to me and believe me it scared the Dickens out of me. I was normally wearing otc 125 reading glasses to read the newspapers/books and the smaller print on the computer. Everything was fuzzy no matter what I looked at. Increased to 150 and in order to read those carbs on bags/boxes at the grocery store, I had to get a page magnifier or use 200 or 250 reading glasses, even to drive I was using the 150. I was diagnosed in Jan and it was the end of Mar before my vision went back normal. Another that would help with reading the print on the screen was to enlarge the font or the whole page...if you hold down the control key and if you have a clicker (the middle wheel) on your mouse, just move it up 1-2 notches to see if that helps you read better.

Hope this helps you, believe me it will get back normal. There's a wealth of information here, so do a lot of reading. Others will chime in with more helpful advice on what to eat and not to eat.

MimiMc

G

·
welcome Mamashack :) I'm type 2 on full time insulin. You can keep on figuring out your diet which is the best option and see if diet, exercise, meds work well together. Although if your BGLs are regularly running high I would think your doc should be considering a temporary measure to get you under control... eg. sometimes insulin is used for this or another type of oral med. Insulin is the better option as it doesn't stress your pancreas like the oral meds do. I know this may sound scary... but really it's not and it may be of more benefit to you to get some quick control while you focus on changes you need to make. Speak to your doc about it anyhow if you notice your BGLs aren't improving. Also metformin they consider as the 'safe' drug because it works on your liver and not your pancreas. I'm a person that had a bad experience with metformin, but most people are fine with it. But I would encourage you to keep a close eye on side effects of metformin and if they continue, get off it as it's not worth the trouble. You will find lots of support and info here. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello! Glad to report the worst seems to be behind me with the stomach issues, I still have a few; but nothing like last week. Bs is still running about 200 in the am. I will be letting the doc know at my next appt. (about a week). This blurry vision is driving we wonky!

What do you all think about Dreamfield Pasta? Is it really ok or am I just fooling myself? And what about sugar free treats at the grocery store? sugar free ice cream is ok, right?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What do you all think about Dreamfield Pasta? Is it really ok or am I just fooling myself? And what about sugar free treats at the grocery store? sugar free ice cream is ok, right?
Dreamfields is something you have to test for yourself, and test and Test and TEST! It doesn't bother me so far, as long as I reduce the cooking time even more than the directions say, but it CAN spike many hours later, even as long as 12 hours. So if you're already using it & not getting a spike, be sure to test a few more times . . . 3, 4, 5, 6 or more hours after the meal.

"Sugar free" is a poor label to go by . . . start looking for the low-CARB ice creams. Breyer makes CarbSmart treats that are EXCELLENT! Fudge bars & ice cream bars . . . they don't bother me much, but I still can't buy 'em because I eat the whole box at once! :eek:

G

·
hello! Glad to report the worst seems to be behind me with the stomach issues, I still have a few; but nothing like last week. Bs is still running about 200 in the am. I will be letting the doc know at my next appt. (about a week). This blurry vision is driving we wonky!

Good to hear you're feeling a bit better there :)
I'm not sure what Dreamfield pasta is? If you have high BGLs at the moment I'm thinking you really need to cut back on your carbs. When you see "sugar free" just check what the sweetner is as if it ends with 'OL', then it's a form of fructose which will only elevate your BGLs.... it's no good basically. There's still research being done on various sweeteners and their effects. You're probably better off using natural sugars if needed. Where I live we actually have a low GI sugar product which I prefer as it's just sugar coated with molasses which slows down the sugar release in your body. I have been using it regularly and my HbA1c was the best result I've ever had recently. I do eat the low fat icecream myself... not very much of it very often though... mind you I probably would eat full cream too... but I'm used to the low fat. You will get all sorts of opinions on this one... but what's most important is that you find what works for you as we're all different.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The only way to know how foods work is to use your bg meter to test. When I eat Dreamfields I get great 2 hours bgs like 102, but my 3 and 4 hour bgs are terrible like 148 and 190. When something in the store says sugar free, make sure you read the carb label on back. A lot of times they have as many carbs as the non sugar free. Also when they take the sugar out they add sugar alcohols which can play havoc on your GI system, so buyer beware. Also it is not only sugar but all carbs we need to watch, especially wheat flour.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Metformin is a great tool, but it is just that, a tool to help you.

Diet and exercise are the answer for T2s, especially in the beginning

I recommend that you try to avoid sugar and carbohydrates at all costs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts