The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I begin my insulin in the morning. I'm on Regular and NPH twice a day. Question: how long after I get the insulin should I eat? Immediately? I appreciate your input. This is a question that I didn't ask the doctor!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I always take my insulin as soon as my plate is full and I am ready to eat. I know one diabetic that takes their insulin 20-30 minutes before they eat. If I waited that long, I would be hypo every time I think. I would recommend taking the shot as soon as you are ready to eat.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I begin my insulin in the morning. I'm on Regular and NPH twice a day. Question: how long after I get the insulin should I eat? Immediately? I appreciate your input. This is a question that I didn't ask the doctor!
I think the people that you are talking to here are on the more expensive, fast acting insulin but you are not. I find it better to wait an hour for my cheaper Humulin Regular to kick in.

ColaJim

O

·
0 Posts
I'm on bolus (fast acting) Apidra and I've been told by my endo I must take that within 30 minutes from when I started eating. I tend to always take my shot right on when the food is in front of me and I'm ready to start eating. Although I've forgotten to do this a couple of times and remembered within 30 min timeframe and I've been Ok. It's all trial and error... see how you go. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ColaJim said:
I think the people that you are talking to here are on the more expensive, fast acting insulin but you are not. I find it better to wait an hour for my cheaper Humulin Regular to kick in.

ColaJim
Thank you. I am not familiar with any of this so your help is greatly appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts