The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have been a diabetic for 10 years and getting annoyed with some doctors and others who think they know my diabetism for lack of a better name.
I have been happily using Humolog for that time and my night BS were always high and in accordance with what I was told increased my insulin to 60 points at night.
Mornings did not alter and everynow and then checked through the night and my BS were "normal" till about 3 or 4 and then went up to about 180-190. I have a sensitivity to the insulin that gives pains in my chest so I take aerius that stops all the problems.
New Diabetic doctor, throws wobbly and says try Lilly's equiv to Livemir, 3 days, stiff shoulder, middle fingers impaired vision, changed to Livemir, same. Vision now funny in right eye. Eventually doctor said come into hospital and they unbeknown to me gave me metformin (a generic of this is in Livemir, confirmed now by aforesaid doctor).
Oh was I ill, loss of vision, muscle lock ups, could not speak, and so on culminating in crash trolley.
The doctor then listened, taking oral B12 has helped with the pains and the vision and the forgetfulness.
Now I notice that same doctor is giving b12 to others, friends / aquaintences from diabetic clinic have subsequently been given it, apparently they are now testing for it here.
Eyesight has now improved, strength has improved, and finger pains disapeared. It took 8 weeks though.
So now back to 30 am 30 midday and 60 evening with BS of 180, 120, 120. HDl 2-3, ldl 0.5-1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
B12

Get the sublingual tablets.
Mmm yes that would be magic, 'cept not available in Europe.
In France we have a glass capsule with 1000mg or whatever its a salty red flavored injectable buvable thats drinkable liquid.
Tablets are no longer available in France and I have been rightly or wrongly informed that the things you quote are not available in the UK.
Silly little amounts apparently in vitamin tablets are useless eg Tesco or Over 40.
2 teaspoons of Marmite worked with everymeal and that is now banned in Holland. (Can we ban Dutch bacon due to high salt levels as the same rule applies).
Apparently my doctor has informed me that B12 is now not recommended for injection, that tablets were found to have a too higher percentage rate rejection and although rejection by the body naturally was high with buvality method there seemed no side effects.
Except of course occaisionaly cutting ones fingers on the stupid glass vials!!!
I will send further info on our vials after getting the packet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
B12

OK the ones I take are Gerda 1000ug. The only problem I have with them is (typicaly French) full of salt.
If I go 2 days without the stuff my middle finger on my left hand starts letting me know and wakes me up in the night absorbtion seems to be about 2 hours.
Interestingly enough, speaking to my optician he is well interested. So possibly people are listening now.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That's too bad, Uri. Perhaps you could increase your B-12 by using more of the foods where it occurs naturally - liver, beef, herring, mackerel, milk products, eggs and sardines - although milk products are going to be detrimental to your BG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B12

That's too bad, Uri. Perhaps you could increase your B-12 by using more of the foods where it occurs naturally - liver, beef, herring, mackerel, milk products, eggs and sardines - although milk products are going to be detrimental to your BG.
I am not sure what BG is however, the milk causes me little problem, but maybe our demi creme is different to what you have now in the US. In fact EU Ecreme is little more than white flavoured water. The cheese I eat by the ton, and in fact new research has been made that has determined that there is something in cheese that eats fats which maybe why my Ldl is very low and my cholesterol so low. Something the doctors in the hospital at both Chateaubriant and Rennes have remarked on, esp as I have a BMI of about 30.
I also eat loads of egg, and liver and also sardines. The only problem I have is I eat too much because I like food, mainly things like spinach, porridge and the like. You have to be VERY careful here of foods as sugar often made from hard wheat, salt and partially hydrogenised fats are put into anything and everything. One cheese, madame loike has more salt than a days allowance in a teaspoonfull.
Marmite knocks holes in all those though, two tea spoonfuls is more than a couple of tins of sardines.
Certainly I eat low carbs normally, well in relation to many.
However I see in the US the link between B12 and diabetes has been known about for some time, Canada, UK, and France did / do not want to accept this link. They cannot deny it now.
It was the same with hard wheat, however now the doctors (mine that is) are (quietly) accepting that there may be a problem, and in fact may be a factor in the 14:00 to16:00 high truck accident rate here in France in the afternoons, whereby truck drivers fall asleep at the wheel (Their comment, not mine as I did not know the statistics).
French truck drivers frequently eat midday a load of French bread made with hard wheat and cheap beer also of hard wheat followed often by something made with or containing, cheap sugars made from youve guessed it hard wheat.
Apparently no other country (in Europe) suffers from this phenomonoem. UK has almost all soft wheat as does Germany, the rest of the EU uses pasta. Nobody eats bread like the French.
So in relationship to another "thread" on here, I have been there and done that and no one listened. They are now.
All I wish now was that I could a/ have known about the hard wheat thing 40 years ago, b/ I could get through a day without my back injury playing me up or I guess never having it in the first place.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What you refer to as BS, is also called BG for blood glucose, and even BGL or BSL by adding the term "level" to blood sugar/blood glucose.

Milk (lait) is loaded with lactose (the demi-creme you speak of is, I believe, demi-écrémé . . . écrémé being skimmed milk and still loaded with lactose), and it is one of those things many of us avoid, along with anything made with wheat. Hard or soft wheat matters little to us - it's all carbs and a poor choice for diabetics. Same with corn and rice . . . all grains are poor choices for most diabetics, even your porridge.

And Uri? If you have a political agenda, please consider finding a political forum to air your political complaints.

I am not sure what BG is however, the milk causes me little problem, but maybe our demi creme is different to what you have now in the US. In fact EU Ecreme is little more than white flavoured water. The cheese I eat by the ton, and in fact new research has been made that has determined that there is something in cheese that eats fats which maybe why my Ldl is very low and my cholesterol so low. Something the doctors in the hospital at both Chateaubriant and Rennes have remarked on, esp as I have a BMI of about 30.
I also eat loads of egg, and liver and also sardines. The only problem I have is I eat too much because I like food, mainly things like spinach, porridge and the like. You have to be VERY careful here of foods as sugar often made from hard wheat, salt and partially hydrogenised fats are put into anything and everything. One cheese, madame loike has more salt than a days allowance in a teaspoonfull.
Marmite knocks holes in all those though, two tea spoonfuls is more than a couple of tins of sardines.
Certainly I eat low carbs normally, well in relation to many.
However I see in the US the link between B12 and diabetes has been known about for some time, Canada, UK, and France did / do not want to accept this link. They cannot deny it now.
It was the same with hard wheat, however now the doctors (mine that is) are (quietly) accepting that there may be a problem, and in fact may be a factor in the 14:00 to16:00 high truck accident rate here in France in the afternoons, whereby truck drivers fall asleep at the wheel (Their comment, not mine as I did not know the statistics).
French truck drivers frequently eat midday a load of French bread made with hard wheat and cheap beer also of hard wheat followed often by something made with or containing, cheap sugars made from youve guessed it hard wheat.
Apparently no other country (in Europe) suffers from this phenomonoem. UK has almost all soft wheat as does Germany, the rest of the EU uses pasta. Nobody eats bread like the French.
So in relationship to another "thread" on here, I have been there and done that and no one listened. They are now.
All I wish now was that I could a/ have known about the hard wheat thing 40 years ago, b/ I could get through a day without my back injury playing me up or I guess never having it in the first place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Porridge

Have you checked iHerb.com - Vitamins, Supplements & Natural Health Products
Many of my friends here in Norway order from them, but we can`t buy much at once because then we risk our vitamins will be stopped at the border as it were Drugs we ordered:mad:
Hi the porridge is neccessary as I need a high fibre diet, we grow spinach. Also I am not susceptible to Oats, we can get virtually no oat cereal here we get Oatibix from the UK. If I eat anything with hard wheat in it then I am out for 2-3 hours followed by a day of total lack of incentive and energy. This confirmed by Rennes Universty hospital.
They eat grease here by the ton so living here one has to be very alert, that and salt.
Sorry dont know what you mean by "political".
I am only interested in what is good for me. If the facts suit others fine, if they dont then there is nil effect.
I do research and then put into action or do more research on what is relavent to me. Loads of people here in France do the same.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That is political and you know it. Now I'm going to edit it and I expect you restrain yourself from writing about all the failings of all the countries. This is an international forum and every country has its problems. Nobody is entirely happy with the way the governments do things.

Hi the porridge is neccessary as I need a high fibre diet, we grow spinach, <edit> Also I am not susceptible to Oats, we can get virtually no oat cereal here we get Oatibix from the UK. If I eat anything with hard wheat in it then I am out for 2-3 hours followed by a day of total lack of incentive and energy. This confirmed by Rennes Universty hospital.
They eat grease here by the ton so living here one has to be very alert, that and salt.
Sorry dont know what you mean by "political" <edit>. I am only interested in what is good for me. If the facts suit others fine, if they dont then there is nil effect.
I do research and then put into action or do more research on what is relavent to me. Loads of people here in France do the same. <edit>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts