The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My name is Mike. I'm 34 from Kentucky. In the last two days, I've been diagnosed with Pre Diabetes. My A1C was 5.7. I'm 5'7, 140 pounds with no family history of diabetes. To say the least, I'm confused and worried. My diet is really good. I don't eat fried foods, red meat, or drink cola. I mostly eat beans, potatoes, rice, grilled chicken, etc etc. Now, I will say this, during the 3 month A1C period, I did eat a lot of french fries, Doritos, and peanut butter crackers too. So my question is this: Now that I've cut out those three food items, and I start jogging and lifting moderate weights each day, can I reverse this in 6 months, or will I have to do more? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well Mike . . . welcome to the club you never wanted to join. Glad you found this forum though. Thanks for joining US!

Do you have a meter? That's going to be your best friend as you wage war to prevent this from progressing. It's my belief that "pre" diabetes should be treated just like the real thing - in fact, my TRUE belief is that IS the real thing, at an early stage. Whatever you & your doc want to call it, your ability to process carbohydrate is now impaired and prob'ly always will be, unless and until a cure is found.

Do you have any particular reason for eliminating red meat? If I were you, I'd include meat/poultry/fish - either fried, grilled, roasted or whatever. Also include cheese & eggs, high-fiber vegetables, nuts, olives, avocados & fats. Let me warn you that potatoes, rice & even beans are usually not kind to diabetics. Carbohydrate is what we're "allergic" to now . . . it causes our blood glucose to run amok. Protein can raise our levels a little bit too, but fats don't affect it at all. It appears that you don't need to lose weight, so in the absence of carbs, you'll prob'ly need fats to keep from losing weight. Just don't starve yourself.

So get hold of a meter - if you have insurance, find out which ones they'll pay for, because test strips can be expensive. If no insurance, go over to Walmart or some other chain discount store like Target/Kroger/Walgreens/etc., where they market house brand meters fairly cheaply. The meter may run about $10, but try to find strips for 40¢-50¢ a piece. They're sold in boxes of 50 or 100.

The biggest hurdle you'll have to clear may be dismissing the idea that "healthy" eating means fruit, whole grains, low-fat, etc. Those foods are healthy for ordinary people: They are NOT healthy for people with diabetes because they all raise our blood sugar. :mad:

I don't want to load any more on you tonight, but if you prowl around the forum & read the threads (there's a search button at the top if that helps), you'll get an idea of how we manage. Every one of us is different and are trying to work out the best individual plan for ourselves. This is where your meter comes in and it's a tough taskmaster for a gadget so small!

Do take care and visit us often.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Sorry to welcome you to the ever growing diabetes club, none of us want to be here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you. I guess the biggest stress I'm having is what to eat. I have to eat a high fiber diet due to a bowel disorder *hence the love for beans :)*. I hate salads, fruits, and most veggies. I also work out on the road, so my food choices are fast foods. Any suggestions on foods high in fiber that are diabetic friendly and convenient?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
A coupla the highest fiber ones, and most portable too, are almonds & avocados. I eat avocados right out of their shell - just slice in half, pop out the pit & eat with a spoon (and a dash of salt ;)) I keep a bowl of raw almonds on the table all the time - the better to grab a handful on the way by.

G

·
welcome Mike :) You'll soon get things figured out and you'll probably continue to adjust as you go as this disease is progressive and it does keep you on your toes... we can't afford to be complacent really. As Shanny mentioned, we're all different with our diets and with what we can and can't tolerate. Testing your BGLs is the only way to figure out what works for you. Also I should mention that there are so many other things that impact on your BGLs (if you didn't know this already) so try and take good care of yourself and keep well hydrated with plenty of rest. Stress is a big killer on our BGLs whether that be from emotional situations, illness, pain, etc. So I'd like to say keep stress free, but that is easier said than done. Learn how to read what effects your BGLs. Even temperature impacts on our BGLs. The best thing is to just stay positive no matter what as you will have your failures and successes and the trick is to keep your chin up and continue learning and doing your best. You've come to the right place for some virtual support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Mike. Sorry you had to join the "Diabetes Club". The most important thing is knowledge. Learn as much as you can about the different types of diabetes. As far as diet it is going to be different for each diabetic. I had to give up all processed carbs and things made from wheat. Before diabetes I ate very well, I thought but was eating way too many carbs from whole grains and fruit. Now I have cut both of those from my diet. Usually when your HbA1c start to creep up it means that your pancreatic function is weak. So even those the diet changes you make will lower bgs it will not reverse the diabetes. But you can manage your bgs and have them similar to normal people. Since you are only 140 pounds I would also ask the doctor to run a C Peptide and GAD antibody test. It could be that you may be in the very early stages of LADA ( type 1.5)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to both of you also. I had my blood sugar took today 45 minutes after I ate an apple, *which I ate 6 peanut butter crackers an hour before that*, and it said my blood sugar was 108. Is that good, bad, normal? I'm totally uneducated about this stuff. After that, when I ate lunch today, I had a pinto and cheese from Taco Bell with a grilled chicken wrap from Wendys, but I didnt eat the tortilla. Was that a good choice? Sorry to bombard you all with so many questions, but I'm in the dark here. Thanks.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Unfortunately there is no "one formula"

You have to eat to what your meter says you can handle. We all have our own meter goal numbers. I personally never want to be over 100, ever.

I also wouldn't eat fast food if you paid me to. Again, that's just me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Normally we test at 2 hours after a meal, 108 at 45 minutes is pretty good in my opinion.

·
Registered
930 Posts
good luck, and stay away from fast food

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. So, Jwags, organic diet? Is that the morningstar/bocca stuff in the freezer section of my local supermarket?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks everyone. So, Jwags, organic diet? Is that the morningstar/bocca stuff in the freezer section of my local supermarket?
From what I've seen on the labels of that stuff, there are way more carbs in it than good 'ol meat and poultry. I personally would stay away from it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Those are vegetarian products - often made with soy, for people who don't/can't eat meat. Organic foods - plants & meat both - have been raised without being exposed to chemicals of any kind.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi Mike and :welcome:

The biggest things to avoid are the so-easy-to-find carbs that you eat while on the road... Potatoes (Fries, Chips, etc.), Corn (and anything made with it) and anything with sugar...

If you MUST eat fast food, ditch the buns and the tortillas, and ask for "no ketchup" as that stuff is LOADED with sugar. Also, (as some of us do) you could bring your own tortillas... I know both Shanny and myself have been known to transfer things into our own low-carb tortilla shells.

Lower GI (Glycemic Index) fruits (Berries, Cherries) are your best bet for fruit. Some of us can eat apples - I eat Granny Smith apples, but only with peanut butter.

Meat is your friend ... Red Meat isn't an issue for diabetics, nor is saturated fat. Feel free. Just balance it with some vegetables (I know you said you don't like salad and veggies, but they ARE full of important nutrients and fiber) and remember to avoid the starches (potatoes, corn, white bread, rice, grains, cereals, etc.) where you can.

If your diabetes isn't too far advanced you may be able to eat some healthy whole-grain breads ("whole wheat" isn't usually "whole-grain", so watch that) and you'll find Sprouted-Grain are the best for most of us. I can eat more of the whole/sprouted-grain breads than some on the forums, but I exercise like a madman, too...

Diet and Exercise together are the best thing(s) you can do to 'nip it in the bud' at this early stage.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, thank you guys again. You ALL are a wealth of info. One thing that confuses me is this: is it the food or the portion of the food? Can you eat, say a small french fry as a snack *28 carbs*, and be cool? Or, is it "these foods are banned forever"? The way I've did things lately is I've made sure no meal is over 60 carbs. I eat three times a day, for an average of 150 carbs. And at night, I jog one hour after eating, and sometimes lift moderate weights. I've banned all cola, snack cakes, and in the process of banning tater chips *my true carb vice right there lol*. This all compared to my old lifestyle of no exercise at all and consuming probably 400 carbs a day. So, what do you say guys, is each person's body different as in what they can eat, in small portions of course, or should I ban 90 percent of the foods I love? Thanks again you all~

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wow, thank you guys again. You ALL are a wealth of info. One thing that confuses me is this: is it the food or the portion of the food? Can you eat, say a small french fry as a snack *28 carbs*, and be cool? Or, is it "these foods are banned forever"? The way I've did things lately is I've made sure no meal is over 60 carbs. I eat three times a day, for an average of 150 carbs. And at night, I jog one hour after eating, and sometimes lift moderate weights. I've banned all cola, snack cakes, and in the process of banning tater chips *my true carb vice right there lol*. This all compared to my old lifestyle of no exercise at all and consuming probably 400 carbs a day. So, what do you say guys, is each person's body different as in what they can eat, in small portions of course, or should I ban 90 percent of the foods I love? Thanks again you all~

mx, in my opinion, 60 carbs per meal is way too much. That's three days worth of carbs for me, as I try to go no higher than 20 carbs in just one DAY, not per meal. I am doing all I can to lose weight and never go on meds and eating VERY low carb is what's keeping me under 120 at all times. If banning 90% of your favorite foods is what is going to keep you alive, that's what you need to do. It's been three months for me and I sometimes drool when the ice cream truck comes by, but I think about the consequences while I'm doing it. There definitely are plenty of great substitutions for the stuff you love, though. :)

G

·
Hi Mike
In my view the portion is way more important as whether we intend to all not we all will deviate off our menu plans now and then and that's where understanding what portion is too much is important. It's different for everyone. There's no foods off limits as such, except for pure sugar stuff of course (you would use that if having a hypo though). We're all different with our diets and there is no right or wrong. Some people advocate low carb/high fat and that is what works for them... others like myself are eating small portions of low GI carbs and low fat diet. It's a good idea to find what works for you by using your meter. The other thing is that you should aim to eat healthy and if you do slip up at all with foods you know doesn't work for you then you just compensate for that in your next meal. So you're aiming for overall good HbA1c result.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well Mx, if you can eat one single solitary french fry and your BG stays under 140 (7.7), more power to you. That's my method - I can eat whatever foods never send my BG over 140 at one hour after the meal. In many cases of formerly favorite foods, that requires such a miniscule bite that it isn't worth the trouble. But if you weed out the foods that bump you over 140 - keep your BGs under 140 at all times - you'll be well on your way to avoiding diabetic complications in your old age! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks to both of you. I guess the biggest stress I'm having is what to eat. I have to eat a high fiber diet due to a bowel disorder *hence the love for beans :)*. I hate salads, fruits, and most veggies. I also work out on the road, so my food choices are fast foods. Any suggestions on foods high in fiber that are diabetic friendly and convenient?
Rye bread is good for diabetics and Low GI food's but can't really advise as I'm down under.

PLEASE do not be like my mother who was diagnosed 10 year ago as type 2 and has never had HBA1c below 10!!! She loves her pastries and sweets Even I would not eat a serve of Pavlova :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts