Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

New *Pre Diabetes*, with so many Q's

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Gizmo 
Well Mike . . . welcome to the club you never wanted to join. Glad you found this forum though. Thanks for joining US!

Do you have a meter? That's going to be your best friend as you wage war to prevent this from progressing. It's my belief that "pre" diabetes should be treated just like the real thing - in fact, my TRUE belief is that IS the real thing, at an early stage. Whatever you & your doc want to call it, your ability to process carbohydrate is now impaired and prob'ly always will be, unless and until a cure is found.

Do you have any particular reason for eliminating red meat? If I were you, I'd include meat/poultry/fish - either fried, grilled, roasted or whatever. Also include cheese & eggs, high-fiber vegetables, nuts, olives, avocados & fats. Let me warn you that potatoes, rice & even beans are usually not kind to diabetics. Carbohydrate is what we're "allergic" to now . . . it causes our blood glucose to run amok. Protein can raise our levels a little bit too, but fats don't affect it at all. It appears that you don't need to lose weight, so in the absence of carbs, you'll prob'ly need fats to keep from losing weight. Just don't starve yourself.

So get hold of a meter - if you have insurance, find out which ones they'll pay for, because test strips can be expensive. If no insurance, go over to Walmart or some other chain discount store like Target/Kroger/Walgreens/etc., where they market house brand meters fairly cheaply. The meter may run about $10, but try to find strips for 40¢-50¢ a piece. They're sold in boxes of 50 or 100.

The biggest hurdle you'll have to clear may be dismissing the idea that "healthy" eating means fruit, whole grains, low-fat, etc. Those foods are healthy for ordinary people: They are NOT healthy for people with diabetes because they all raise our blood sugar. :mad:

I don't want to load any more on you tonight, but if you prowl around the forum & read the threads (there's a search button at the top if that helps), you'll get an idea of how we manage. Every one of us is different and are trying to work out the best individual plan for ourselves. This is where your meter comes in and it's a tough taskmaster for a gadget so small!

Do take care and visit us often.

A coupla the highest fiber ones, and most portable too, are almonds & avocados. I eat avocados right out of their shell - just slice in half, pop out the pit & eat with a spoon (and a dash of salt ;)) I keep a bowl of raw almonds on the table all the time - the better to grab a handful on the way by.

Thanks everyone. So, Jwags, organic diet? Is that the morningstar/bocca stuff in the freezer section of my local supermarket?
Those are vegetarian products - often made with soy, for people who don't/can't eat meat. Organic foods - plants & meat both - have been raised without being exposed to chemicals of any kind.

Well Mx, if you can eat one single solitary french fry and your BG stays under 140 (7.7), more power to you. That's my method - I can eat whatever foods never send my BG over 140 at one hour after the meal. In many cases of formerly favorite foods, that requires such a miniscule bite that it isn't worth the trouble. But if you weed out the foods that bump you over 140 - keep your BGs under 140 at all times - you'll be well on your way to avoiding diabetic complications in your old age! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.