The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum...I just started on the pump as of 10/29 (animas one touch) and while I really like it and am grateful for the fact that my daily blood sugar numbers are much more regular, all of a sudden, my overnight numbers are spiking much higher than they ever did before. I have already had my basal rates changed three times to very little effect. Anyone else had this problem? Also is there any other problems I can expect? Any recommendations in general for a new pump user?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Welcome Sarah to the forum and to the world of insulin pumps,

I also started on the insulin pump in August 2010 and it has taken me approximately almost 3 months to get the basal rates adjusted correctly. The CDE that I work with said that many people find it takes from one to three months to get the basal rates right.......and once that is done then you can work on the insulin to carb ratios if necessary.

It would be hard for anyone to predict what 'other' problems you may have ... we're all different and what might bother me would not bother you.

As far as recommendations I would say to test often if possible, especially after an infusion set change. At first I did not do this and ended up with very high blood glucose levels that made me feel awful. So....now I test frequently after an infusion set change. There are other people who use the pump and hopefully they will come along shortly and give you the benefit of their experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! Thanks so much for the kind welcome! It's been a very frustrating day for me pump-wise. Got up with my usual high blood sugar - bolused for it and it went down to 86 by lunchtime. All good..,then came dinner- came into dinner with a blood sugar of 193, but I snacked at work, so it wasn't completely shocking. Then, two hours after dinner, I checked and it was 216, inexplicably. I bolused and 15 minutes later it was 185...ate a snack, bolused for those carbs and took my blood sugar an hour later and it was 233. I feel like I can't win. Bad bad night. Even though I just changed the site yesterday, I feel as though it might be a bad site so I might need to change it again. I just don't know how it can work during the early part of the day and now just cease to work.

I know my basal rates will need to be adjusted more and it's comforting to know that it takes most people that long to get the right basal rates, but days like this just make me feel frustrated and terrible. I wish I understood all of this better. :(

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Is there any chance that your insulin to carb ratio for 'snacks' isn't correct? Personally I've found out that it is really easy to push a few buttons to cover snacks and then forget about them. What works for me the past few weeks is to limit my snacks and to keep a close eye on the total amount of bolus insulin I use in one day. It is frustrating though when those high numbers creep up on you.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Sarah, look up "basal testing" in your manual or online and use it to help correct your basals. The book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh discusses basal testing, and everything you need to know about pumping.

Your overnight basals probably need to be increased a lot. I hope you are keeping records of all your testing, carbs eaten, types of foods, bolus amounts, etc. I use my charts to help me make changes in my programming. Do you really know your insulin sensitivity (how much one unit of bolus insulin will lower your BG)? If your sensitivity is set too high then your BG can be reduced too little when you do a correction bolus. My sensitivity changes during the day and night, so I have several different sensitivities in my pump. My carb ratios also vary. I used trial and error for three months to finally get things going smoothly when I started pumping in 2007. After it was all going well my next A1c was 5.7. Pumping has given me the best control I have ever had.

Be patient and you should love your pump when all the quirks are resolved. good luck in the weeks ahead.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because I just started on the pump at the end of October, my CDE and I haven't determined many specifics yet like insulin sensitvity or the snack specifics. I have an appointment coming up next Tuesday so perhaps those things will get ironed out then. We'll see.

As I said on the fasting blood sugar thread, I actually experimented with a temp basal last night. I increased it by 20% between 11 and 4 am and my blood sugar was 120 when I woke up. So, definitely better! Only my second full week on the pump so I know I shouldn't expect perfection right away, but yes, seeing those numbers gets very frustrating!

Richard - thanks for the book recommendation - I'll look it up next time i go to a book store or library! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!! I will defintely order it! After all, my diabetes educator isn't available every minute of the day for me!

On a separate note, things are much more calm on the pumping front tonight. After changing my site this morning, I had a blood sugar of 123 at lunch, 118 after dinner, and 86 at bedtime. These are the numbers I am used to seeing! Of course I had karate after dinner so that helped...the real test will be tomorrow to see if my blood sugar does what I expect it to after dinner with no intense workout!

·
Registered
12 Posts
New to this forum...I just started on the pump as of 10/29 (animas one touch) and while I really like it and am grateful for the fact that my daily blood sugar numbers are much more regular, all of a sudden, my overnight numbers are spiking much higher than they ever did before. I have already had my basal rates changed three times to very little effect. Anyone else had this problem? Also is there any other problems I can expect? Any recommendations in general for a new pump user?
Hi Sarah, just a quick message. I have been ont the pump since 2006 and the change to my life has been fantastic. I believe you have more freedom to live a normal life in relation to food and exercise. I was very lucky and for the first 6 months I was so well balanced but I started to get increased BS through out the day, but no hypos thank goodness. It just took a little time to understand my system and I was back on track. Dont be afraid to trial and error with your pump but remember health and safety and do nothing drastic fast.
I just found out that I can get a LOAN pump from Medtronic (my pump make) for going on holiday. Fantastic.
Good luck with the pump and I hope it brings you a healthier and happy life x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts