The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all;

I am new to this forum.

Been diabetic type 2 for 10 years (happened four years after I had my last child and I was gestational diabetic with him), and was most probably insulin resistant way before that. . . Diabetes runs rampant in my family on both sides: brother has it, sister had gestational diabetes, both parents have/had it, grandparents on both sides had it.

First used oral meds for last 9 years with control getting worse and worse and becoming more and more insulin resistance , then took insulin with glucophage XR for the past year with insulin still uncontrolled (A1C 8.7 done just this week).

I am very insulin resistant. Been taking 80 lantus am and pm for basal and about 50 per meal for about 300 total/day. that is a lot of insulin and a lot of insulin resistance. My pancreas is almost non functioning, my c peptide has been taken twice with .5 and .9 reading ( very low side of normal)

I also am an eye doctor , so am fairly versed in the disease process, unfortunately. Unlucky for me, I dont follow the "norms" of how most type 2 respond to meds/ insulin.

Kaiser is ordering me a pump next week -- after much research, I chose the Ping over the Revel (which are the two that are covered by my insurance), mainly for the remote control function. I chose Ping bc its easier to program with remote meter rather than having to take the pump off my belt all the time, esp if I only have a few minutes in-between patients.

Couple of questions: (and excuse me if I dont know all the correct "pump" terminology yet)

1. Is the pump needle bigger diameter wise than 30 gauge injection needle I used for my insulin? Will I have to worry about scars and skin thickening with using the pump --my abdomen is constantly black and blue with using needles now. When I used needles though, if I start poking and it hurt, I would go to another area that didn't hurt and inject there. For the pump, I guess I won't have that luxury and it will insert regardless if I hit a blood vessel or not. Do I want the straight or angled infusion sets?

2. Since I now use about 300 units insulin a day (I know, that's higher than anyone else I know, and higher than any of my patients using insulin), is using u500 a good idea . . I would prefer to not have to change my infusion site more than every 3 days. I am also hoping that I will start to use less insulin doing the pump.

3. How good is the ping software? I understand I can download the info re: BG reading etc to my computer . . .can I also forward that info to my Diabetic NP using that software or another software?

Thanks. If you have any other comments, etc I would most welcome them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi Lisa,

I just got the Revel 723 and started using it yesterday, so I probably cannot offer a ton of wisdom here. It would appear that the pump needle is thicker than the 30mm we are used to on our insulin pens. With that said, I actually do not find it painful at all. Just feels like a quick pinch. Mind of matter really as the needle is quite long, at least with my set. I don't take as much insulin as you do, but I chose the larger Revel pump to allow a decent amount of insulin as I don't to want to change sites less than every three days either. Can't comment on the ping software as I obviously don't use that, but hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Jeremy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts