The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took the plunge and told the dr that I would try the pump. I'm scared to death but if it will take care of my roller coaster numbers and give me more energy I'm all for it. The insurance company called and let me know that I am approved and will have the pump by this Wednesday. It is all happening much more quickly than I expected it to. I know it's the right choice, but it will take an adjustment.

How long does the process of training once the pump is sent put to actually wearing it typically take?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I took the plunge and told the dr that I would try the pump. I'm scared to death but if it will take care of my roller coaster numbers and give me more energy I'm all for it. The insurance company called and let me know that I am approved and will have the pump by this Wednesday. It is all happening much more quickly than I expected it to. I know it's the right choice, but it will take an adjustment.

How long does the process of training once the pump is sent put to actually wearing it typically take?
I had the pump for a few weeks before I was up and running with it. I had two training sessions with a nurse, after the first session I was wearing the pump with Saline in it, I wore it that was for a few days and then had another 4 hour training session to get hooked up with my precious life juice.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, i was curious about all of that. I'm really nervous but the lady at Medtronic's assured me it would be okay. They are required to wear one Before they can sell them. She said it really wasn't bad. I'm most worried about my awful sleeping habits.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Don't be afraid of using a pump. Especially as a Type 1, it makes much more sense. I am a Type 2 and will hopefully begin using my pump within the next couple of weeks. I went to one training session already, and I've had the pump for about one month now. I'm a little disappointed with how slowly the process has been going, but when I'm going from numbers like 107 before lunch to 300 by dinnertime, and then not coming down with rapid acting insulin has just got to stop. Especially when there was no reason for the raise in bg's to that level. I just took another shot of insulin to see if it will bring me down. Sometimes I wonder if I am using too much insulin and it is causing these roller coaster numbers. I guess I'll find out with the pump. Good Luck!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
naynay said:
Don't be afraid of using a pump. Especially as a Type 1, it makes much more sense. I am a Type 2 and will hopefully begin using my pump within the next couple of weeks. I went to one training session already, and I've had the pump for about one month now. I'm a little disappointed with how slowly the process has been going, but when I'm going from numbers like 107 before lunch to 300 by dinnertime, and then not coming down with rapid acting insulin has just got to stop. Especially when there was no reason for the raise in bg's to that level. I just took another shot of insulin to see if it will bring me down. Sometimes I wonder if I am using too much insulin and it is causing these roller coaster numbers. I guess I'll find out with the pump. Good Luck!
Have they tested your GAD antibodies? When my numbers were outrageous they had me on basel insulin, 10 units at night, then I injected a couple units of meal time insulin with lunch and 4 units with dinner. This helped the roller coaster I was on. Then I got a lot of hypos so they put me on an insulin calculator and it has helped some. I'm very sensitive to insulin but I'm also still on oral meds since I was originally being treated as a type 2. But when they tested my antibodies i was positive. They wanted me on the pump because I need such small doses of insulin at the time along with sometimes needing 1/2 increment doses. They said the pump should help. I'm getting used to the idea of the pump. No turning back now! I want to live a long time and meet my grandkids one day (I'm only 29 and my son is only 4, but you get my drift!). I figure this is the most logical way to go. I also hope this makes me feel better all the way around!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
My antibodies have been tested and those are fine. So, definitely not a Type 1. It was negative. My C Peptide has gone from a 3 in 2010 to a .9 in 2012. Don't know about how low carb eating affects that but it seems I'm producing less insulin on my own. I also wonder how being on insulin affects that test.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
naynay said:
My antibodies have been tested and those are fine. So, definitely not a Type 1. It was negative. My C Peptide has gone from a 3 in 2010 to a .9 in 2012. Don't know about how low carb eating affects that but it seems I'm producing less insulin on my own. I also wonder how being on insulin affects that test.
I have wondered the same but the doctors have a way of reading that test. Thanks for the encouragement! Good luck to you on pump as well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts