The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new here and looking for a little advice. I am helping with my childs Valentines party at school. The other mothers and I that are in charge have made plans and decided what we are bringing. We just found out this evening that a new student will be joining the class on V-Day and she is diabetic. I am suppose to make cookies and have all the stuff already. I want her to feel included but I don't want to buy special(artificially sweetened) candy or cookies. I was thinking of experimenting with a shortbread cookie recipe to make it diabetic friendly? Using sunflower or olive oil, stevia,chia and almond flours, vanilla, and salt. Would these ingredients be ok for her? Any advice would be appreciated. I want her to get to experience homemade treats and be like the other kids instead of store bought cookies or something different all together. I feel like that would single her out. One mother is bringing popcorn and chocolate covered strawberries (she could leave chocolate off of some?)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Very considerate of you!

The ingredients you mentioned would be fine if you want to experiment.

If you want to take advantage of a cookie a local diabetic chef extraordinare came up with, then I can recommend this excellent one. :) I made these again a few days ago so grabbed a pic of the few remaining. What kid doesn't like chocolate chip cookies? I use Lindt 90%, lower carb and goes far in this cookie - 4 thin squares, 7 net carbs, yielding over a dozen large cookies.

I make mine with less sweetener than the recipe calls for, and if you were going to get one sweetener I'd recommend Truvia. It's a blend of stevia and erythritol. I blend 3 different ones which tends to cancel out the aftertaste, but if I were going to go with one, I'd get Truvia.

I do use an insulated baking sheet. When I didn't, the chocolate would invariably scorch a bit and they didn't come out as nice.

You also can peruse our recipe section for other ideas.

On behalf of diabetics everywhere, thank you! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! I will try both! I am hoping that I can make heart shaped short breads for her that will match what I am making for the other students, but if it doesn't work out it's always a great idea to have a back up plan!

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
Thank you for being so thoughtful. You should inform the teacher or parent ahead of time your intent, so they adjust insulin accordingly, in case they take a bolus dose for snacks.

Curious as to what you find out at the party. Does she eat a special diet or normal diet? My daughter is a school nurse and has a few type 1 kids. Most eat whatever everyone else does, but they have candy handy in case they go low. I think most are on a sliding scale for insulin use, that was last year, I'll have to ask her again because I think she may have someone using a pump.

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am planning on going in early to takk with the school nurse. We just found out about it last night and there is no school today or Monday due to inservices. I have no way to get ahold of the mother either so I have to wait for the day of! That's what led me here. To search for advice, I want the girl to feel welcomed and part of the group!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts