The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First 24 hours of testing the OneTouch "ping" pump, totally new routine, first time in years not taking a needle, started off with high BG levels but now levelling off, a lot of new procedures to learn:decision:

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Best wishes to you. I know at first everything seemed overwhelming for me, but after a while I'm sure you will get it sorted out. Let us know how you are getting on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Strawberry, since it is only a loaner pump, I am extra nervous with it almost dropped it a couple of times

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I can't speak for the Ping, since I have the Medtronic Revel, but they are fairly hardy. One day during the first week I had my pump I can remember almost dropping mine and when I looked "down" there it was hanging by the infusion tubing from the infusion site. Thought sure that would cause the infusion set to come out - but it didn't. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strawberry, found today that it had a four year warranty and was tested being dropped on cememt it is a metal casing

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The Medtronic Revel also has a 4 year warranty. The casing on my pump is hard plastic. How are things going for you with the pump?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strawberry, had my first increase to my Basal dosage from .775 to .825, new setting from 4am too midnight, left at .775 for midnight till 4am, I am good when I sleep but then I go up quickly

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Week one done, sugars now not as high as before but we are still working on it

Reactions: Strawberry and moon

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Week one done, sugars now not as high as before but we are still working on it
Good for you, glad to hear your sugars are improving. It takes a while and you are wise not to rush into making drastic changes all at once. I think the body does not like big changes IMHO. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am still learning about setting up the pump and the infusion set, I find it a bit nerve racking, don't want to screw up todays install was a bit of a mess

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Almost threw in the towel folks so fustrated, wasted four infusion sets and a lot of Insulin, nothing went right when setting up my last imstall (tape wouldn't come of back completly, etc), tomorrow will be the test if I have as much trouble as I did Wednesday and Thursday, I think I will go back to the needle

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What infusion set are you trying? Do you have a pump trainer or an Endo that you can contact? As I was doing my first infusion set alone, I ruined two reservoirs full of insulin by pulling the plunger down waaaaay too far and ended up with a lap full of insulin :( Needless to say I was not a happy person.

Try not to give up - you're not alone and Yes, everything does seem very confusing. But you will get the hang of it sooner than you think. Try to relax when you're doing an infusion set (sometimes easier said than done), maybe put on some relaxing music and pick a time when you aren't really tired physically. Good Luck to you and best wishes :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Strawberry, woke up this morning to another low 3.4 treated that first, than went to change my infusion set, infection has set in no redness, just a small sore with a bloody mixture coming out, e-mailed my Diabetic Nurse (trainer) she called me back right away, she is great, I see her every second day when I am at the Heart Institute, we have decided when we go on our trip in two weeks that I am going back on my needles till I am more comfortable with pump, took my Novorapid to cover my Carbs will try in a while to put the pump back on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts