The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good to know. Um…what sounds like starch or fillers? XD This is the first time in my life I’ve really cared about what was in my food. Corns or corn syrups I will stay away from. What about potatoes? Same deal?
Potatoes don't really spike me but rice sends me over 200.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yep, prob'ly potatoes too, dang it anyhow! :eek:

Anything "white" . . . potatoes, rice, pasta, bread . . . anything made with white flour and/or white sugar.

There is a brand of pasta that when cooked exactly according to directions, many of us can tolerate. It's Dreamfields brand.
I think I've heard that before. I just have to work on internalizing it. I really like potatoes too. :p I'm adjusting though. Widening my food horizons. Thank you for the help.

Potatoes don't really spike me but rice sends me over 200.
Ah good to know. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Dont get frustrated. It will take a while for you to get settled into this whole new routine. Sounds like they have you on a sliding scale. You are supposed to eat a certain number of carbs take a certain amount of insulin plus whatever you need to correct if you are high. In this way you really need to be sure you eat exactly the amount of carbs they have told you because that is what they are basing the dosage on. Once you get settled in a bit hopefully they will teach you about carb counting and dosing yourself according to that. It gives you a lot more freedom. They will have to calculate your insulin to carb ratio and your correction sensitivity. I used a sliding scale for awhile but I really prefer exact carb counting. I am better controlled and have a lot more flexibility in my diet.

Oh, and if you miss something sweet...sugar free jello can be your friend. I couldnt exist without it :)

Everyone's body reacts to different carbs in different ways. You are going to have to do a lot of testing in the beginning to see what works for you. For instance, white potatoes send me into orbit...but not sweet potatoes. I can eat most fruit pretty easily...even grapes in moderation....but watermelon is death on a plate for me. I finally just gave it up altogether. Its a lot to learn and it will take some time, but you will get through it. I am just now discovering that apparently I am more sensitive to insulin at different times of the day even. Just when I thought I had it all figured out something else comes along to jack me up :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I can tolerate whole grain pasta rather well, but I use insulin. It digests more slowly than regular pasta. That way the premeal insulin can work more before the glucose from the pasta reaches the blood stream, and there is a smaller spike.

Candlelight, you may need to determine an insulin-to-carb ratio so you can avoid those post meal spikes. It is better to not be over 140 two hours after meals. I am Type 1 but I have insulin resistannce too. I need 1 unit of fast acting insulin for every six carbs I eat. That is called a 1:6 carb ratio. You may need 1:10 or something different. Experimenting is the way to find your ratio.

The meal you described had 54 carbs, and you took 3 units before eating. That would be 1 unit for 18 carbs. A 1:18 ratio. I would try a 1:10 ratio if I were you. If you divide 54 by 10 you get 5.4 units if you try a 1:10 ratio for a 54 carb meal. My meals usually average 30-35 carbs.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
@ Shanny
Oops. And here I thought I was being good. Isn’t my face red ^^;; I did look at the carbs though and I thought it was alright… Is there something else on the label I should start paying attention to? I asked my nutritionist about looking at sugars and she said just watch the carbs right now.

I might try to take a couple snacks to work then, just to see how it goes. I’ve been browsing the nutrition forum and it sounds like some celery with peanut butter would work? Or maybe some cottage cheese, just to tide me over?

I do like cheese… I’ll give that a try sometime soon. :)

And thank you.

@ Breezeonby
She said no snacks because I have to take insulin before I eat anything right now. I am on mealtime insulin. I have to take 3 units of humalog/rapid every meal plus one extra unit for every 50 points a am higher than 100.

So I actually took three units of the humalog before eating the soup and yogurt.
I am not a doctor, but your insulin dose is rather low. I know that everything has a starting point and you work from there. Hopefully in the weeks to come you will be find out what your insulin to carb ratio is and find out what your insulin sensitivity factor is. Also, you won't take insulin to cover your eggs, meat and cheese. Humalog and Novolog is taken at meal time to cover your carbs, if you take insulin and you don't eat any carbs then your blood sugar may go low. This is just basic knowledge. There is a great book out called "Using Insulin" by John Walsh, if you could get this book, I think it would give you some valuable information that you can use in the weeks to come. I wish I would have read this book when I started taking insulin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thank you guys so much. This site and you people are my own little blessing. I would have been a nervous wreck without it.

As it is, I've been trying to take into account all the advice and I've been doing pretty well. Since lunch yesterday (I just had breakfast because I'm on the night shift, so since about midnight yesterday) all my readings have been between 140 and 80. Even if it's a small amount of time, it's really encouraging.

I'm just really really grateful for everyone who's been helping and encouraging me.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thank you guys so much. This site and you people are my own little blessing. I would have been a nervous wreck without it.

As it is, I've been trying to take into account all the advice and I've been doing pretty well. Since lunch yesterday (I just had breakfast because I'm on the night shift, so since about midnight yesterday) all my readings have been between 140 and 80. Even if it's a small amount of time, it's really encouraging.

I'm just really really grateful for everyone who's been helping and encouraging me.
That is actually quite good for now. It will take a little while to get things under control. After all...its a lot to learn to deal with and you are having to learn new things about how your body responds with your diabetes. We are all different. It really is an added thing to worry with working nights. I also work nights...7PM-7AM. That was one of my reasons for deciding to go on a pump....gave me a lot more flexibility since it is nearly impossible for me to "eat on schedule" 7 days a week.

You are doing great...pat yourself on the back!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That is actually quite good for now. It will take a little while to get things under control. After all...its a lot to learn to deal with and you are having to learn new things about how your body responds with your diabetes. We are all different. It really is an added thing to worry with working nights. I also work nights...7PM-7AM. That was one of my reasons for deciding to go on a pump....gave me a lot more flexibility since it is nearly impossible for me to "eat on schedule" 7 days a week.

You are doing great...pat yourself on the back!
Thank you. Night shift is tricky and I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to adjust to it. It'll be even more fun soon since I'll probably be working at night a few days and then in the day a few days. But I think it'll be okay :p

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi. I was just reading your post about shooting up to 271 after your 52 grams of carb at lunch, with a 3 unit shot of Humalog. Have you been assisted in setting an insulin:carb ratio? Knowing how much insulin is needed to cover each gram of carb is invaluable. It's different for each person, and may even change with each meal. Obviously, 3 units of insulin did not cover the 52 grams of carb in your meal. That would be a 1:17 insulin to carb (52 grams of carb divided by 3 units of insulin) factor. For many people, 1 unit of insulin covers about 10 grams of carb - meaning you would need 5 units of humalog to cover the meal in question. To be conservative, though, try 4 units next time (1:13). Once you know your I:C ratio you can count carbs and take just the right amount of insulin to prevent your blood sugar from spiking so high.

Have I confused you sufficiently?

By the way, if you're hungry between meals, don't just starve. Have an ounce of turkey breast and a small serving of toasted soy nuts with a few almonds. If you need a tiny bolus to cover the carbs (like 1/2 unit), do it. Using insulin makes your life very flexible. This is where that insulin:carb ratio comes in very handy.

Jen

41 - 49 of 49 Posts