The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am 35 years old male and just yesterday got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am unsure of a lot of things rightnow & have another dr. appt. Soon. I am scared as I have 2 young children and want to be around for them.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hi gotknot and unfortunately, welcome to these forums. The initial shock of the diagnosis usually hits people hard but it is not, by any means, a death sentence, as a Type 2, what you need to do first is accept that you have diabetes and then push back against it by getting control over your BG numbers. Get a meter if you don't already have one and some strips to go with it. You'll need a lot of strips in the beginning as you will need to test the foods you eat to find out what do and does not affect your levels. Most people here will test one and two hours after eating something.

As well, most but not all here follow a low carb- high fat diet that does wonders for both your BG numbers and for your weight if it is an issue. Others here follow a mod carb diet, not wanting to give up many of the foods that are off limits to the LCHF group. It's your choice.

I hope you enjoy your time here and if you have any questions or just want to rant or rave then please feel free to do so.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I think we were all shocked with our D diagnosis. Many of us were very healthy, athletic and not overweight. Diabetes is something that just happens. For some unknown reason little by little your endocrine system doesn't work correctly which allows your blood glucose to rise to dangerous territory. The one good thing about getting diagnosed is now you know what symptoms to look for . By tweaking your diet, exercise and stress levels and sometimes adding medication or insulin you can keep those bgs in a near normal level. By doing that you can avoid a lot of the complications that D's got in the past. I intend to live a very long life.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Gotknot welcome to the forum :fish2:

You have gotten some great advice so far, none of us (given the choice) like the idea of how D changes our lives. But it is after all a matter of change and perhaps for some (like me) medication. You will likely find that carbs are a major source of rising BG, learn some of the ideas on reducing those carbs. Don't fall into the trap of not eating enough and ending up hungry, that will lead to failure. Just choose the lower carb foods and avoid the high BG. Making the healthier choices in your life should reflect into your families life also.

BTW we all respond differently to foods so what I can't eat you might be able to :D The BG testing advice is very important, depending on your insurance/copay Walmart has some meters/strips that work well Walmart.com: ReliOn Micro Blood Glucose Monitoring Kit: Home Medical

Some of us are fortunate enough to control D by using diet and exercise, I did for a couple of years then had to take oral meds YMMV. My diagnosis was in 1998 and for the most part since have worked to control my BG, with no serious complications. Just be sure to not forget about your care!

Good luck,
Larry

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, gotknot. I hope we can alleviate your fears. Diabetes is a life-changing occurrence, true, but it is NOT a death sentence. Some of us even count it as a blessing of sorts, since it was a wake-up call to get busy & start taking better care of ourselves. Others of us got a lesson in healthy eating when we discovered that the usual "healthy" diet (fruit, whole grains, etc.) makes our diabetes worse.

All the advice above is right on target . . . we're here to give you all the support we can, so visit as often as you can & ask whatever you want to know.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Some of us even count it as a blessing of sorts, since it was a wake-up call to get busy & start taking better care of ourselves.
This is crazy off-topic, but not really. I'm 60 yr old, and in the last year have lost 5 very dear friends - one of them just 2 days ago, dying unexpectedly in the hosp after having been hospitalized for severe gout attacks in 2 joints and going septic.

Not one of those 5 dear friends had diabetes. The friends who have diabetes are still going strong.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yes not weird. The fact you know your sick you take better care of yourself. Both my parents were diagnosed with serious heart conditions when in late 40's early 50's. My dad had stroke when I was 17. I am now 53 and he is 84 still going relatively strong. My moms still hanging in there also. Told my wife when we got married that her parents will likely outlive mine. Well her dad died of a heart attack - turns out he was diabetic and did not know it - had he know he might still be here today. People brag about haven't been to a doctor in 20 years - not something to brag about. I skipped my physical a year ago and finally went to doctor 6 months ago and is when I found out I had type 2 - wish I did not skip my appointment a year ago might have known sooner and been better off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the responses and support. I am taking it day by day while I wait to go to doctor in a couple weeks. Hopefully I will hear good news...just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Welcome, to the forum.

For condensed, easy to read, useful information on Type 2 Diabetes you might check out: Blood Sugar 101

Welcome aboard!

ColaJim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts