The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I recently found out I have diabetes. I'm currently in the process of finding out all the details of my blood tests. Within two days my arms look like pin cushions. I'm 22 years old and wondering how in the world it happened to me! I am a little freaked out and hoping this forum could offer advice and encouragement. Thanks!!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the machine.

have a look around and ask lots of questions

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi Squirrel & welcome to a terrific forum, the others will be along later to get you started & on the right path.
Good news is that you have been diagnosed & can do something about getting your BG under control
If you dont mind me asking are you Type 1 or Type 2? & has your Doc started you on any medication yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. No dr hasn't said yet. As of now I'm still waiting for my blood and urine tests to come back. And he hasn't started me on medicine yet. I took a glucose test and it showed positive for diabetes so I went in the next day and he said my levels were extremely high so he wanted to draw more blood to make sure. I should know something in a couple days. In the meantime though he is setting me up with diabetic education classes at my local hospital.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks guys. No dr hasn't said yet. As of now I'm still waiting for my blood and urine tests to come back. And he hasn't started me on medicine yet. I took a glucose test and it showed positive for diabetes so I went in the next day and he said my levels were extremely high so he wanted to draw more blood to make sure. I should know something in a couple days. In the meantime though he is setting me up with diabetic education classes at my local hospital.
Thats good he is setting you up with Diabetic classes, there is plenty of info on this site especially relating to diet, so have a look around & feel free to fire off questions, everyone is here to help & support each other.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello everyone! I recently found out I have diabetes. I'm currently in the process of finding out all the details of my blood tests. Within two days my arms look like pin cushions. I'm 22 years old and wondering how in the world it happened to me! I am a little freaked out and hoping this forum could offer advice and encouragement. Thanks!!
Hello & welcome, squirrel. We'll certainly give you all the support we can - this diabetes thing is definitely scary & overwhelming at first. Ask us anything you want & someone here will surely have been through it. That's the great thing about having friends who know what you're talking about - they really "get it".

Take care, visit often & thank you for joining us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for making me feel welcome. It's all still up in the air as to what type but I assume it is type 2. Almost everyone in my family has it so it shouldn't come as a surprise to me for me to have it as well. I did buy a glucose meter to keep myself in check but I basically have no idea what the numbers mean lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose I should add that I'm hoping it is just pre diabetes. I hope that I can start eating right and exercising more. Dr said I need to get my weight under control. I am 4ft 10 in and weigh 145. It's hard for me to find time to exercise and eat right though because I work and am going to nursing school. And I am newly married and am also finding it difficult to spend time with my husband because I'm extremely tired 90% of the time so I usually grab an energy drink and a snickers. He also said I should quit smoking. My blood pressure has been high everytime I go to the dr and this recently started within the past few months. I guess I'm just having trouble with time management. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts