The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got diagnosed this week and out to learn all I can. I have an extensive family history with the diabetes, mother, father , 3 sisters. Kind of knew my time would come.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Greg. You've got some diabetic genetics going on indeed. You know a lot about diabetes already I'm sure, but the more I learn the more I see I need to learn - about diabetes in general, and certainly about my own management in particular.

This forum is a tremendous source for information and support - surely glad you found us.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Oh yea, Greg! Always nice to meet a new diabetic friend who minds his spelling/grammar/typing too! :D :D :D

Welcome aboard! ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Greg. Even without a family histor diabetes hits a lot of us. The good thing is that it is very manageable with low carb diet, medication, exercise and a lot of reading. First read as many books and blogs as you can. Once you understand what diabetes does to your body, then you can alter your lifestyle to make needed changes. If you Eat to your Meter, you will definitely get on top of your diabetes pretty quick because you can see what different foods do to your body. Since we are all different and react differently to foods this is the easiest way to make an individualised diet that works for you. Although I restrict carbs at meals I eat a fantastic diet. I eat lots of eggs, cheese, bacon, steak, chicken, all sorts of veggies even sweet potato fries once in awhile. I also eat lots of desserts and treats that I bake myself so I know they are low carb. Check out our recipe forum, we do like to eat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, new here

My father's portion of flesh has been removed due to diabetes complication. My uncles and aunts have it. What is the possibility ration I will have it?:violin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here I am, 6 months later, what I like to call fully under control and NO DRUGS, wake in the morning on a bad day @ 123, after that always in the double digits.
Eat to your meter has worked well for me, and my Doctor just smiles when I show him my numbers or he take my A1C.
I'm hopeing that it will be this managable all my life.

thanks
Greg

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Good work, Greg - thanks for the report!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well here I am, 6 months later, what I like to call fully under control and NO DRUGS, wake in the morning on a bad day @ 123, after that always in the double digits.
Eat to your meter has worked well for me, and my Doctor just smiles when I show him my numbers or he take my A1C.
I'm hopeing that it will be this managable all my life.

thanks
Greg
Way to go, Greg. I have no doubt you'll be able to manage whatever diabetes throws at you. As long as you eat to your meter, you'll catch any creeping BG and make the necessary alterations in your lifestyle.

What you could do to help others in this situation, is tell us how you're managing. What is your way-of-eating and your exercise routine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eating is fairly simple, cut those carbs to a min, if I had to guess under 50 grams a day is where I normally end up. The good part is I have a very supportive wife, she eats what I eat. We have almost stopped eating from the can and box, we make our own food. We know what is going in it. I find some pasta is OK but rice is out. Some potatos, but Beer is a big no no.
Exercise is a walk around the parking lot at work every day, 2 laps, about 2 miles. I do this at lunch time, it gives me a break from the phone at the same time, regional manager so it rings always.
I have not lost weight, 6'1" and 210, but I have not gained. I would say not fat but big. In my younger years lots of hours in the gym. This is how we found the diabetes, lost 30 lbs for no reason, didn't put it back on.

Again I cannot say enough about "eat to your meter", but we are all indiviguals and our bodies act differently. So what is good for me may not work for you. Your meter will tell you if you shouldn't eat that food.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts