The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed as diabetic II a year ago. Since then I have been taking Metformin and Gliclazyde. I find that with time, reading and exchanging information on the net, I have been able to control my glucose numbers better. However it is still a roller-coaster obstacle at times. I am very keen on tackling this problem because of the alarming things I've read on late-onset complications from high glucose numbers. Thank you for registering me on this group. I am Canadian but I have also registered on an international site.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New member - Irene (Jen and Raindance reply)

Welcome, glad you found us.
Thank you Jen and Raindance for taking the time to welcome me.
I really like the 'reply post', so I know when someone has read my post. Kewool.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Glad You Found Us!

Welcome, Irene!

We have posters from all over the place. You'll fit right in.

You'll find a lot of info and support here. And yeah, we've got a bunch of formatting toys to play with!

Looking forward to getting better acquainted.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome Irene. Diabetes is sometimes a roller coaster ride. My best advise is to tighthen up the standard deviation between the lows and highs. the Glicazide you are on may be responsible for some of your lows. You might want to talk to doctor about that and other options. It has taken my 4 years to get my bgs closer to 100 most of the day. I usually wake up in the high 80-s - mid 90's and rarely go much past 110-120. So my standard deviation is only 20-30 points most day. By tightening up ranges you get your HbA1c down.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Irene, welcome to the forum! We're glad you are here. I hope you come back often and share your experiences with us. This helps everyone grow and better control our diseases too! Good luck and keep taking it one day at a time!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Irene. We truly are a global community & enjoy the diversity here. Thank you for joining us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dear Jwags,
I read in one of your post that you were on metformin and lost 30 pounds weight. Actually i'm facing the same problem. I lost almost 30 KG and looks like a needle walking in the street.

Could you guide me how you recover and improve on your weight.

Desperately waiting for your response. Appreciate your assistance in advance.

Regards,

G

·
welcome Irene :) I'm type 2 also, although controlled with insulin. I'm Australian... and I've noticed we've got ppl from all over the world here. I'm sure you'll find it's a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Irene,
I am new too. Had such a great reception and feedback. Looking forward to hopefully getting more information from people that know. Despite having type 1 diabetes for over 30 years there is so much to learn!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Irene,
I am new too. Had such a great reception and feedback. Looking forward to hopefully getting more information from people that know. Despite having type 1 diabetes for over 30 years there is so much to learn!
Thanks diabetessurvival. Your website looks very professional. I am not diabetes I but there is information for all kinds there-- recipes are cool. Thirty years! Congratulations-- that is very encouraging. I am a neophyte and can't help but wonder when the end is going to come and when it does whether i did something bad in my life. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome, Irene! I look forward to your input.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Connie B,

Diabetes is so all-encompassing. Thanks for the welcome. Everyone who welcomed me if I missed you, i appreciate it.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the welcome ThoseBackPages. You say you are off Medication-- is there a story to that amazing feat?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Thank you for the welcome ThoseBackPages. You say you are off Medication-- is there a story to that amazing feat?
You're welcome Irene.
The story behind it? Hard work, dedication and strong will power.
This time of year i walk 5+ miles a day, try to eat zero man-made carbs everyday and watch my portion control.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're welcome Irene.
The story behind it? Hard work, dedication and strong will power.
This time of year i walk 5+ miles a day, try to eat zero man-made carbs everyday and watch my portion control.
Yup.... hard work (5+miles per day), dedication, and strong will power.
I have looked at various statistics charts from CDC, WHO, ADA, etc. for probable complications, mortality in general, and ugh.... morbidity. If i recall, heh, all statistics show the highest risk for complications such as stroke, heart attack, and kidney failure, and death are related to how high your blood sugar is on a constant basis - so i hope what you are doing keeps your blood sugar low. BTW, diabetes is no. 7 on the "grim reaper" list.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Yup.... hard work (5+miles per day), dedication, and strong will power.
I have looked at various statistics charts from CDC, WHO, ADA, etc. for probable complications, mortality in general, and ugh.... morbidity. If i recall, heh, all statistics show the highest risk for complications such as stroke, heart attack, and kidney failure, and death are related to how high your blood sugar is on a constant basis - so i hope what you are doing keeps your blood sugar low. BTW, diabetes is no. 7 on the "grim reaper" list.
i like to keep my BGS levels in the 80 area and under 100 at all times. i think i would totally freak out if my meter read over 100.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts