The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am the mother of a Type 1 Diabetic. My daughter is 2 years old (will be 3 at the end of February) and we are still very new to this very shaky ride of Diabetes. Sarah was diagnosed at 27 months old and we are just about to hit month #7 of this. We have not yet gone the route of a pump however we are looking into it. Right now She's on Novolog and Lantus and has very irratic numbers because...she's 2...and we never know if she's low or high...because the last time she was 37...she was running around having fun...and then 8 hour's later was 566 and falling asleep.

My husband and I are the best advocates for our daughter and I want her to be able to grow up one of the happiest and well adjusted children possible. Without ever knowing she has a disease except for a few minutes a day we spend poking and prodding :)

Thanks
Catherine

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Catherine. I'm sorry I don't know a thing about type 1 in children, but one of our members, Richard157, was diagnosed type 1 at a very young age, about 62 years ago, and he is very healthy. Hopefully he will be along soon and can give you some advice. We also have many other type 1's who can probably advise you. As for me, about the best I can do is welcome you to the forum. :welcome:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Welcome to the forum :) I too am new to the forum hubby Type 2 but I have already learned so much here in only 3 weeks. I hope you have as much luck. Everyone here is very nice and willing to help. Again welcome and best of luck to you:)

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Catherine, welcome! It is much more difficult to control a young child's blood sugar. That is a well known fact. Growth cycles, hormones, and irregular activities make it very difficult to have much stability in her control. As an adult she can regulate herself better, and have much more success.

There are other sites that are more appropriate for you, since there does not seem to be any regular members here who have diabetic children. The following site is one of the best for you parents:

children with DIABETES Online Community

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy after 66 years of diabetes. We can have long healthy lives. Good luck to you and Sarah in the years ahead!

Richard

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello Catherine,
First of all welcome to this forum. I have to agree with Richard. I post and am a member of Children with Diabetes and it is the best. They also hold conferences throughout the USA during the year as well as hold a major conference called Friends For Life. I just attended one of their mini conferences in Seattle and each time I go I learn so much. It is also a good time to make friends that I know will be my friends for years to come. There is something about being around others that understand and get it.
As to pumping you will find it to be an excellent choice for your daughter as you will be able to give much smaller doses of insulin than you can with injections and also you will only have to inject once every 2 to 3 days when you change the infusion site barring corrections, etc. You will find it much better but not less work.
Even saying this, I am glad you are here and also will look for you over at CWD
children with DIABETES Online Community

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Catherine, welcome to DF. Check out the link that Richard gave you. Children with Diabetes have some different issues and it is good to speak with other parents of children who may be having the same problems that you are having. We have many D's here who were dx'd as young children and have led a very long, healthy life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts