The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Since this is the place for introductions, let me introduce myself. My name is Pam and I am a 45 year old registered nurse.

My journey with diabetes has been, I am sure very common with a lot of people. I had been monitored from a fairly young age since it runs very strongly in the female section of my family (grandmother, mother and sister). By 16 was having swings in blood sugar, mostly hypoglycemic. By the time I was 20 I was started on Glyburide for increasing blood sugar levels. Life was good on glyburide for several years. I was fairly well controlled until about the age of 30. I started having more problems with control and was apparently having resistance issues as well so I was started on metformin as well. Again, life was good for a while and I had gained control again. Over the course of the next few years my islet function declined but increasing the dosages of medication made it very manageable. By the time I hit 40 trouble began. I was increasingly having problems maintaining control and eventually was maxed out on dosages of my drugs. But again, life was good and control was mine again!

Last year I was having problems again, sugars going into the mid 200's ... doctor wanted me to start insulin but I begged for the chance to try adding Januvia before I started that. Worked great...I felt good and was once again in control. Here is where I failed myself miserably. I have to admit I grew very complacent about testing. I alwys had been able to tell when my sugar was high, so I grew lazy and only tested when I thought I was high. Finally a few months ago I was feeling really sick, tired, and started having visual problems. I finally checked my sugar and it was 430 :( . The inevitable day had come...my pancreas was telling me that I had kicked it around long enough and it was done.

My A1C was 12.6...no wonder I felt like I was dying. So, I now have a new endocrinologist and am desperately trying to regain control. It isnt coming easy this time and I am looking for all the help and encouragement I can get at this point!

If you are still reading after this long winded introduction, then I thank you and look forward to meeting everyone. Hopefully I can find some help here and maybe even help someone else out along the way!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Pam, it's so good to meet you! You have certainly mastered every level this condition throws at you, and I know you'll regain control this time too. I so understand the tendency to let go after while . . . I think it's the eternal vigilance required of us that makes it so tiresome. We can't just forget about it for a few days' vacation.

Thank you for joining us and I know we can help each other in this campaign. You have so much experience to offer, and we have just as much support to give to you.

take care & hurry back,

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks....its been really good to read all the messages here. So many people have such good advice to give. Thanks for letting me participate!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Pam! Type 2 is progressive and many Type 2 diabetics eventually become insulin dependant. I have read many times about Type 2 diabetics having very high blood sugar because their medications were no longer working. They became insulin dependant and their control was wonderful! So many of them wished they had started insulin much earlier.

Don't hesitate to use insulin. I am Type 1 and have used insulin for 64 years. I am very healthy because of insulin. I use very tight control to stay healthy. I eat low carb foods and limit myself to 130 carbs per day. Exercise is very important, do you exercise every day? Testing and keeping records of your tests, carbs eaten, medication, etc. is a good idea. I test at least 12 times per day so I can easily see when I am starting a high or low and can correct it, before it becomes a problem. I will agree that frequent testing is more necessary for someone who uses insulin.

Ask all the questions you want, we are here to help! It is great to have a registered nurse here with us.

Richard

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been on insulin now for about a month. While my blood sugars have come down from the 350-450 that they *were* running, they are still no where in control. I am averaging 150-260 now. The frustrating thing so far is that no matter what I seem to do, I just cant get in control. I am limiting my carb intake to 25-30 grams per meal even though they tell me I need around 45 at least. I am exercising, taking my meds on time, testing at least 6 or 7 times a day. I seem to be experiencing myhighest blood sugars in the morning (fasting). Averaging around 250-260 even if I havent eaten since earlier in the day. Very frustrating to say the least! I have an appointment with my endo in the morning so I will see what he says about it.

Thanks so much for allowing me to rant and rave a bit!

Cheers
Pam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts