The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm new to the forum but not to diabetes. I am T2, meds 3 times a day, exercise, and diet. My doctor wants me on a new medication called Onglyza. I don't know about you guys but I hate trying new medication. My A1C is usually good but lately the numbers have been creeping up. Well that's it in a nutshell.

Scarlet P.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Scarlet - welcome aboard. Dang about your number creep.

You gave a nutshell, now I'll give an inquistion :) - I'm assuming the med you take is metformin? What is your A1C and how much creep? How about your after-meal numbers? That's all the questions for now, but I've got a whole satchel ready to go ...

I have no experience with Onglyza, the only insulin producing med I was on was glipizide for a month or so after my dx, then I was able to get off it. Others will know more about Onglyza than I since I know nothing. Full of questions and no bloody help.

Glad you're here :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming the med you take is metformin? What is your A1C and how much creep? How about your after-meal numbers? That's all the questions for now, but I've got a whole satchel ready to go ...

I have no experience with Onglyza, the only insulin producing med I was on was glipizide for a month or so after my dx, then I was able to get off it. Others will know more about Onglyza than I since I know nothing. Full of questions and no bloody help.

Glad you're here :)
Yes, on Metformin 500mg x 3 times a day but I tend to take it only twice a day. Three times a day makes me runnnn to the washroom :eek:

That's why I'm trying Onglyza in fact. I just can't take Metformin 3 times a day because of unpleasant uncontrollable side effects erm.

A1C last December : 6.5
A1C this July : 8.0

My biggest problem is fasting numbers. Would you believe that until 2 am, my numbers are under 6 mmol/L? When I get up at 6 am I'm never under 9 mmol/L. I could just cry.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! :)

Scarlet P.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Scarlett, do you take the Extended metformin. I am one of the lucky ones and can handle 2550 g of metformin. I take 3 x 850's and it does work. Also how is your diet, is it low carb. Sometimes that makes all the difference. I tend to eat 10-15 carbs per meal. Onglyza is similar to Januvia. It does work for some, it has similar side effects to januvia. Check out www.bloodsugar101.com she has a chart of all the drugs and side effects.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hi!

I'm new to the forum but not to diabetes. I am T2, meds 3 times a day, exercise, and diet. My doctor wants me on a new medication called Onglyza. I don't know about you guys but I hate trying new medication. My A1C is usually good but lately the numbers have been creeping up. Well that's it in a nutshell.

Scarlet P.
Hi Scarlet and welcome from the Philippines:D. Jump right in and make friends. Lots of good people and information here.

Gene

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
SP, welcome aboard.

What are you eating at 2am that is spiking you?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Yes, on Metformin 500mg x 3 times a day but I tend to take it only twice a day. Three times a day makes me runnnn to the washroom
I had gastric issues w/ metformin also, switched to the extended release and it has become very manageable now. Sometimes I still get a bout, but mostly I'm just not constipated! My dose is 1,000 mg 2x/day.

My biggest problem is fasting numbers. Would you believe that until 2 am, my numbers are under 6 mmol/L? When I get up at 6 am I'm never under 9 mmol/L. I could just cry.
People have used various strategies to combat dawn phenomenon - I'm fortunate it's not a problem for me. However, when I drink a glass of red wine in the evening my fastings are almost always lower. It seems the liver is so busy trying to get rid of the toxin that it doesn't get around to dumping all that glucose.

When I mentioned this to my Diabetes Educator in the beginning, she said "that's not in any of the literature." LOL - as if the Diabetes Association is going to tell diabetics to drink up.

That has got to be frustrating - hope with experimentation you can come up with a strategy that works for you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The only side effect of Onglyza I have found so far is that it is HUGE drain on the wallet. In my neck of the woods it runs $210 a month. Onglyza does have a value card that can save you a $100 on it. Ask your doctor about it or go to Onglyzas website.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SP, welcome aboard.

What are you eating at 2am that is spiking you?
I must be eating when sleep walking! :D

Funny how the body works! It's very frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome SP. What are you eating for nuts. I tend to eat a few nuts right before bed to even things out overnight and avoid kicking the liver. I never know when I am going to have an over active dream that's going to use up my sugar reserves :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It depends what I have. Almonds. Pecans. Cashews.

What I find difficult is when I work the evening shift. More often than not I don't even have time to eat supper and end up very hungry at the end of my shift. I don't want to eat at midnight and go to bed right after. At this point, I don't know what's worst though; eating late or not eat at all. Both seem to give me high fasting sugars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts