The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, I feel as I am going crazy, so depressed over my PDR,had some laser done on 06/17/2011, upper parts of both eyes about 400 burns each, have to get rest done in a few weeks, I feel so hopeless,afterall this is stage 4, is there any feel good stories out there, of people who have this and have lived a long time, with little or no vision loss, i am controlling better, but is it all in vain, i cant take the thought of being blind, PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The damage that has already occured to your eyes from the proliferative retinapothy can't be reversed, but further damage can be avoided if you take action right now. It is very important to have the laser surgery done to seal blood vessels that could leak. So be sure to stick with that, and continue to have it monitored.

The next most important thing is to get your blood sugar down to a good level and keep it there to avoid further damage. Since you were diagnosed in 1990, I'm sure you know that carbs are the worst enemy of a Diabetic. I would immediately start counting carbs and cut my carbs way down. Everyone here at the forum is in a different situation. Some are type1, type1.5, type2. Some take meds, some are trying to do it with diet and exercise alone. They can all give you some helpful tips.

This is my 2 cents worth... I don't eat bread or pasta (not even whole grain). No sweets, rice, potatoes, corn, peas, beans, etc. I try to eat between 20 and 30 carbs per day. Some on the forum eat more, some eat less. I distribute the carbs evenly throughout the day and eat 4 or 5 small meals a day. If you eat too many carbs at one sitting, your bg will go up too high. I eat something small before bed and eat as soon as I get up to keep my bg from rising too high because that is what happens if you wait too long to eat. I try to never let my bg go above 119. The reason I chose that number is because a person who does not have Diabetes, their bg never hits 120, no matter what they eat. Damage can be done to your body at 140 and above, but there can also be damage at lower numbers. Everyone on the forum is shooting for a different fasting bg number. I like my fasting to be between the mid 70's to the low 80's. My advice to you is to shoot for a low number.

I eat meat, fish, poultry, real cheese, almonds, pork rinds, eggs, only veggies that are low on the glycemic index like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. I use real mayonnaise, real butter, and for milk I use heavy cream diluted half with water. The only oils I use are olive oil and I cook with coconut oil. (The type of fat you eat is important for a diabetic.)

You can learn a lot that will be of help to you if you go to the bloodsugar101 website and read, then come back here to ask any questions you might have. We are all rooting for you. Welcome to the forum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts