The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new here and although I don't have diabetes I've been trying to lower my a1c to under 6.0 according o the doctor. I was wondering I anyone has any advice on how to do this or how long it could take? I'm very active (workout 6 days a week for an hour or more), eat fairly healthy and weigh about 135 (I'm 5'5"). I do have a sweet tooth though and have been switching over to baking with whole wheat flour and splenda. Any other helpful suggestions on what I can do??thank you!!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Agrossman, If you go to low carb, high fat, it will drop like lead. Don't eat fruit, except berries and try to cut down on your flour consumption and you'll see it rocket down. Maybe buy yourself a meter and see what it does after you eat certain foods or meals at 1 hr. and 2 hr intervals. You'll catch on fast to what you can/can't have. You clearly don't need to lose weight, so be sure to eat enough. You'll lose your sweet tooth pretty soon if you give carbs up.

What was/is your A1C, by the way...how far from 6.0? Mine was 6.9, which is under the ADA's # of 7.0, but I'm clearly carbohydrate sensitive (which is diabetic I've learned by another name).

Good luck,

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If your HbA1c is over 6.0 there is a good chance you are probably pre-diabetic. If I were you I would cut out as many carbs as possible. When baking it is not only the sugar but the flour. It doesn't matter whether it is wheat or white, it is still about 95 carbs per cup. Plus for most of us flour hits us much faster than sugar. When I do baking I use almond meal, flaxseed meal, coconut flour and low carb whey powder. Check out this site for great recipes

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Stop eating the crap and you're numbers will drop

1 - 4 of 4 Posts