The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello....

My name is Yolanda. I was diagnosed 5 years ago as a diabetic. I can't remember the meds that they started me on but I can't tolerate Glucophage at all. Well, within the past 6-8 months, my meds have changed becuase my BG keeps going up or it won't go do to acceptable level. I found out a week ago that my numbers were in the 300's. I'm used to seeing over 200 but never 300! My dr. doubled my meds (glucotrol) about 1 1/2 months ago and then added Actos last week. Well, that hasn't worked. So now I have an appt. for tomorrow a.m. to discuss insulin therapy. I'm pretty nervous about that and had a mini-breakdown at work this a.m. but I'm all better now. I forgot to say that I'm 39 y.o. (40 in April). I'm pretty nervous about the insulin.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Yolanda. While I have never taken insulin either, I know that I may eventually need to use it, and I also know that it is one more wonderful tool in our arsenal of weapons to control diabetes. I hope you'll be able to relax about it, because you will gain much greater control over your numbers, and feel so much better for having stable BG.

I hope you will stick around and hear from our members who rely on insulin and lead normal lives. Going on insulin is not a catastrophe - it is just another method of controllng this cussed condition we have. Just take a deep breath and be sure to ask your doctor all the questions & worries you have when you meet with him tomorrow.

Thank you for joining us - I hope we can continue to support each other through all our ups & downs with diabetes.

take care,

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi

I assume that you are trying to get your numbers under control, thats why your hear?
I hope you are eating a low carb diet(not just low sugar but low carbs).

I dreaded insulin also... I found it gives me great freedom, NOW I can control my BGL (blood glucose level) If I want a treat of popcorn I can have it and not think I am killing myself with each bite. (I have to take extra insulin for the popcorn)
I've been on insulin for 10 years:D

the tools at our disposal to control diabetes

Food raises BGL
low carb, high fiber, some fats (slows the absorption of carbs)
exercise lowers BGL

Drugs Lowers BGL
Pills (side affects)
insulin (stigma and sometimes a PIA but so are complications from diabetes)

that is what we have to work with.

I find insulin a life saver. without it I would have complications.

If you want to scare yourself look up the complication from diabetes.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Welcome Yolanda! I have been diabetic now for about 25 years. I used oral medications for a long time. Even when they stopped working really I still kept on using them. I avoided insulin until I was so sick I could barely function. I was much happier floating along the River DeNial for as long as I could :) But after I finally started taking and got my numbers under control I was amazed at how much better I felt. I didnt even realize how sick I had been feeling until I didnt feel sick anymore. I wish I had given in to it and started it much longer ago. I would have felt better and probably wouldnt have the small minor complications I have today. It wont be the end of the world....trust me :) Looking forward to getting to know you and please ask anything you need to, or just vent if you need to. So many people here have been so supportive to me when I needed it.

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Yolanda, I am Type 1 and was diagnosed in 1945. I have used insulin for 64 years and am very healthy. Insulin has kept me healthy and happy. It can do the same for you.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello....

My name is Yolanda. I was diagnosed 5 years ago as a diabetic. I can't remember the meds that they started me on but I can't tolerate Glucophage at all. Well, within the past 6-8 months, my meds have changed becuase my BG keeps going up or it won't go do to acceptable level. I found out a week ago that my numbers were in the 300's. I'm used to seeing over 200 but never 300! My dr. doubled my meds (glucotrol) about 1 1/2 months ago and then added Actos last week. Well, that hasn't worked. So now I have an appt. for tomorrow a.m. to discuss insulin therapy. I'm pretty nervous about that and had a mini-breakdown at work this a.m. but I'm all better now. I forgot to say that I'm 39 y.o. (40 in April). I'm pretty nervous about the insulin.
:welcome: Hi Yolanda. I went through a similar situation at 5 years after my diagnosis. I was just on Glucotrol XL 5MG-1 x day and watched my diet & exercised. I was only testing 3 times a week-at the direction of my doctor and I was having blurred vision and headaches. I was missing the BS readings in the 300's. I needed to go on insulin. I was nervous and scared. I had a mini education course from the nurse on how to inject insulin and was given a handful of prescriptions and was sent on my way. I got my insulin and syringes at the pharmacy and went home and cried. I lived alone and just felt really lonely. I called my Mom and talked until I got all of my emotions out of my system. After taking insulin for 3 days, the blurred vision & headaches went away and I felt good, my blood sugar numbers were down. I was relieved that I actually felt better and found something that helped. I knew that I would probably need insulin for the rest of my life. It took awhile to accept that fact. Try and hang in there, taking insulin is not all that bad. Come and visit the forum often, you will get moral support and will learn alot as well. Take care.:D:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the support, encouragement and advice!!!!! I went to the dr. today and they're starting me on 10 cc's of NPH, I can't remember what the NPH stands for. I was really nervous but the nurse showed me how to inject myself and it wasn't so bad. My numbers dropped to 70 something around 3 p.m. so I have to get used to the snacking and eating on time and on a regular basis. I don't like the hypoglycemic feeling at all!!!!

Thanks again!!!!! I look forward to getting to know you all on this neverending journey.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks everyone for the support, encouragement and advice!!!!! I went to the dr. today and they're starting me on 10 cc's of NPH, I can't remember what the NPH stands for. I was really nervous but the nurse showed me how to inject myself and it wasn't so bad. My numbers dropped to 70 something around 3 p.m. so I have to get used to the snacking and eating on time and on a regular basis. I don't like the hypoglycemic feeling at all!!!!

Thanks again!!!!! I look forward to getting to know you all on this neverending journey.
Please tell me you meant 10units...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

NPH aka Neutral Protaime Hagedorn, mostly sold as Novolin N. is an intermediate acting insulin with a peak within 4-5 hours after injecting, works for up to 9 hours. I took NPH for a few months. I was taking it twice a day, breakfast and dinner. My fasting blood sugar was too high so I moved my dinner dose to bedtime and I still had high fasting blood sugar. My doctor then put me on Lantus (flat acting, no peak) and the fasting blood sugar improved within a week. I found that when I took NPH that I could not skip lunch or I would go low. Be sure to get some glucose tablets to use for lows (for the most part any reading under 70) and keep some close by at all times. Feeling hypo is not a good feeling. Eat your meals and snacks and you should be ok. But test test test. It is the best tool we have. Good Luck!:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NPH aka Neutral Protaime Hagedorn, mostly sold as Novolin N. is an intermediate acting insulin with a peak within 4-5 hours after injecting, works for up to 9 hours. I took NPH for a few months. I was taking it twice a day, breakfast and dinner. My fasting blood sugar was too high so I moved my dinner dose to bedtime and I still had high fasting blood sugar. My doctor then put me on Lantus (flat acting, no peak) and the fasting blood sugar improved within a week. I found that when I took NPH that I could not skip lunch or I would go low. Be sure to get some glucose tablets to use for lows (for the most part any reading under 70) and keep some close by at all times. Feeling hypo is not a good feeling. Eat your meals and snacks and you should be ok. But test test test. It is the best tool we have. Good Luck!:D
Thanks for the info. I only take it once daily and have to increase the units on Sunday if my numbers don't get down to 140. I'm glad you found something that works for you. I forgot to get the glucose tablets but grabbed a handful of peppermints. I also grabbed a few snacks. Thanks for all your insight!!!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Your lucky... when I started on insulin I was given an insulin pen and needles and told to tale 11 units at 7PM and 15 at 7 AM and sent home.:eek: That was my training:eek: I worked through it that was Jan 14th 2000 ( I found my log book, I have them all)
my BGL was 265. Took me 4 weeks but I got it under control with 38 IU on NPH in AM and 35 at night.

Good luck test,test,test

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your lucky... when I started on insulin I was given an insulin pen and needles and told to tale 11 units at 7PM and 15 at 7 AM and sent home.:eek: That was my training:eek: I worked through it that was Jan 14th 2000 ( I found my log book, I have them all)
my BGL was 265. Took me 4 weeks but I got it under control with 38 IU on NPH in AM and 35 at night.

Good luck test,test,test
OMG!!!!! I don't know what I would've done if they just gave me the rx and needles then sent me home! I'm glad you finally got it together though.

I have to check my fasting BG for 3 days and then increase if it doesn't go down to <140. I also have a phone consult on Thursday to give her my status. I'm praying it goes down. Today was my first full day on 10 units and my numbers were still high but I'm sure it will take some time to get it right.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Ya.. Its better to sneak up on the insulin dose. If you start with too much you could be in trouble:eek: Also dropping the BGL from a sustained hi to a "normal" can damage the blood capillaries in the eye. And your body is used to having BGL high so going down to fast can make you feel bad.
Did she give you a list of the warning signs of hypoglycemia? there are something like 25 warning signs. Nobody gets all of them most get 2 or 3 of them. I get shaky or antsy and sweat. and feel eucy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya.. Its better to sneak up on the insulin dose. If you start with too much you could be in trouble:eek: Also dropping the BGL from a sustained hi to a "normal" can damage the blood capillaries in the eye. And your body is used to having BGL high so going down to fast can make you feel bad.
Did she give you a list of the warning signs of hypoglycemia? there are something like 25 warning signs. Nobody gets all of them most get 2 or 3 of them. I get shaky or antsy and sweat. and feel eucy.
Thanks for the warning on dropping the BGL to fast. The dr. did tell me that I may feel a little strange when I get to the normal range because my body is used to it being high.

No, I don't have a list of symptoms for hypoglycemia but I too, get shaky and sweaty so I can physically tell when my BGL is too low.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts