The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, Tantoria, and welcome to Diabetes Forum.

Your doctor may have been closer than he thought, guessing an autoimmune disorder, because it's possible you're type 1 or 1.5 diabetic. Stranger things have happened, and just because you're over 30, doesn't mean you can't be type 1, which IS an autoimmune issue. And you're thin, which also points to type 1. One of our members was diagnosed type 1 when she was 52 years old.

As Breeze says, it isn't the end of the world - it just turns your world ON its end for awhile! So much of the current conventional wisdom regarding diet, etc., is just totally backward for diabetics. Most of the fruits & many veggies we're urged to eat so much of every day, are the things that run our blood sugar off the charts.

You'll be needing a meter so you can test your own levels throughout the days, and if you decide that eating to your meter is a good method of maintaining control, you just start weeding out which foods cause your levels to go too high, and then limit or avoid those foods.

I get too windy with my welcomes, so I'm going to stop for breath, as it were. Just know that we're happy to have you with us and we want to help as much as we can.

Take care and visit often!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.