The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

I was diagnosed with type ll diabetes several years ago. I was on metformin then insulin. I went on a diet lost 70 lbs and worked out. I eventually got off insulin and was controlled through diet. About 2 years ago the blood sugar level dramatically increased to a point where I am back on metformin. I am working on bringing my weight down to approximately 200 lbs. (I was at that weight and my height and body structure suited that weight). I also believe I have neuropathy in both hands and feet. I'm looking for information on what I should be doing to slow this, stop it or if possible revers it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Don. The best thing you can do to curb the neuropathy is get your numbers down and keep them down. Work to keep around 100 mg/dl - plus/minus 20 either way - that's easy to remember.

Others here can inform you better on other treatments for relief, but the primary remedy is low blood sugar.

Thank you for joining us!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for advice. I will work away at both the blood sugar levels and weight.

Thanks also for the welcome.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello Don and :welcome: to the forum! Come on in and sit down and get comfortable :couch2:. We have several threads on neuropathy that you might be interested in reading. I have suffered from neuropathy in my feet and left hand. I take gabapentin and it helps but I still have issues with my hand. I have had carpal tunnel release and cubital tunnel release in my left hand. My left hand still gets numb, my ring and pinky finger feel as if they are frost bitten. I was in constant pain after surgery in November and my doctor has me on a low dose of oxycontin 2 times per day. That controls the shooting pains that I had prior to and after the cubital tunnel release. I am able to sleep at night. My hand surgeon told me that the cubital tunnel release would take many months before I would see improvement. This surgery bothered me more than the carpal tunnel surgery. The incision was 8 inches long and I had 14 stitches. Scar for life. I hope I do get some improvement in my left hand from the cubital release surgery, my sugar is pretty much under control but I continue to have problems with neuropathy. Keeping your blood sugar under control is the best way to keep neuropathy at bay, but you may still have problems with it. Some doctors just think that since I have diabetes that it causes nerve problems and so neuropathy can be expected. I could live without that kind of attitude from my hand surgeon. Good luck in getting your neuropathy under control. I hope you will visit often and take care.

G

·
Welcome to the forum Don :) Is it possible you have beta cell damage and that's why your sugars have got worse? Have you had recent GAD test done? I've had type 2 for 12 years now and I've been on insulin 1 year because they found out my pancreas is not producing enough of it's own insulin anymore. It may be worthwhile checking out if you haven't already. As others have advised we have to try and keep BGLs at safe levels.
Some interesting reading in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_autoimmune_diabetes

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi and welcome to DF. Diabetes can be very frustrating. I have had it for 4 years and my control has been up and down. I lost all the weight I needed to and now am about 15 pounds below my goal weight. My bgs have gotten better but I still have to take the metformin to keep them near or below 100. I take the maximum amount of metformin. I also found there are certain foods I just have to avoid if I want to keep my bg in a good range. I had a little neuropathy when I was dx'd from several years of too high bgs. Most of it is gone, with the lower bgs. Some people also find taking the supplement Alpha Lipoic Acid, helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if a GAD test has been done but I do have a series to blood and keytone tests done every 2 months.
I have not tried Alpha Lipoci Acid. Where do get it? I should also mention that I live in Canada. Our glucose readings are measured in mmol/L. I can connvert the unit measurements with one of the Programs I have for my iPad.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if a GAD test has been done but I do have a series to blood and keytone tests done every 2 months.
I have not tried Alpha Lipoci Acid. Where do get it? I should also mention that I live in Canada. Our glucose readings are measured in mmol/L. I can connvert the unit measurements with one of the Programs I have for my iPad.
You can get Alpha Lipoic Acid in the vitamin-supplements sections of the supermarket and Walmart or Walgreens. If you have a local health food store they will carry ALA. I order my vitamins and supplements from Discount Vitamins and Supplements, Health Products at Lowest Price - Swanson Health Products. They have some of the cheapest vitamins on the net and they have flat rate shipping and they will give you 12 months to return anything that you don't like. I can try something and send it back if it doesn't work for me. Just take your glucose reading and multiply by 18 and you will then have the US reading.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
breezeonby said:
You can get Alpha Lipoic Acid in the vitamin-supplements sections of the supermarket and Walmart or Walgreens. If you have a local health food store they will carry ALA. I order my vitamins and supplements from Discount Vitamins and Supplements, Health Products at Lowest Price - Swanson Health Products. They have some of the cheapest vitamins on the net and they have flat rate shipping and they will give you 12 months to return anything that you don't like. I can try something and send it back if it doesn't work for me. Just take your glucose reading and multiply by 18 and you will then have the US reading.
Thanks. I didn't know the conversion factor. I was switching back and forth between the two systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi There

Hi there, I've been diagnosed with glucose intolerence. So its all new to me and so have joined the forum to get some tips of you all. Nurse told me if I dont cut the sugar out I will become a diabetic. I dont take sugar in drinks,and only use sweetener on cereals. But when I look on labels on any food most of it has sugar in it.I looked at plain yoghurt today and that has also got sugar in. I have 4 muiller lights in the fridge , I guess i cant have them also

G

·
hi Bbabs - welcome :D - if you're being careful to not get in the diabetic range with BGLs, you really need to watch your carbohydrate intake (sugar is also a form of carb, although not the only form). So this means that you need to control portions of carbs you eat and don't over indulge too much on things like rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, etc. Carbs are measured by glycemic index, which means that some carbs cause your sugar level to rise quickly (high GI... eg. coke, most rices, cakes, biscuits, etc.), some carbs are a better for you in that they take longer to break down and turn into energy to fuel your body (medium GI, low GI). Low GI is the best option (eg. oats, corn, sweet potato, dairy) Basically when you eat carbs you should choose wholegrains over the refined grain carbs (white flours, sugars, starch in vegies) as it's better for you. eg. you look for wholegrain breads, fresh non starchy vegetables, etc. There are a lot of vegies that have carbs in them. Get yourself a calorie counter book if you can... one that includes carb counts, etc. You will then get a good idea what ratio of carbs is in each food item. It's a good idea to steer clear of the refined sugar and also sweetners are really no better as they are mainly made from some form of fructose which is basically another form of sugar. Oh that reminds me... watch the amount of fruit you eat. You should limit fruit intake to 2 serves per day and small to medium sized fruit (not large - shouldn't be bigger than a tennis ball size). You can buy low GI sugar if you are used to some sugar in your diet (it's only been on the market since 2009... but I'm not sure if it's sold where you are as it's Australian product called LoGicane). At the end of the day it is all about quality and quantity. You should try and eat low carb diet if you can... but you should include a small amount of carbs with each meal as carbs is the brains main source of fuel. Protein is also good... but problem with that is you need to look for low fat and lean proteins, or the good fats and watch fat intake as too much fat is not good for your heart. I hope some of this helps you... I'm sure others here have lots of advice to offer too. It's really up to you to do the best you can. There is so much information floating about and it can get confusing. Remember to have an exercise routine too and keep stress at bay as that's not good on sugar levels either. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you OM, that's very informative, I will look for that sweetener, I have it on porridge. I will study your post more and take it all in. By the way My daughter lives in Perth, I will be visiting her next Christmas I think. Thanks for all your info.......Babs xx :cheer2:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, Bbabs! Would you be agreeable to starting a new thread on this board . . . so you'll get noticed more & have more replies? Tell us more about yourself! We're so glad to have you join us . . . it's just that your post is kinda lost in the shuffle here on this other thread, and you deserve one of your own!

take care and visit often! :) :) :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, Bbabs! Would you be agreeable to starting a new thread on this board . . . so you'll get noticed more & have more replies? Tell us more about yourself! We're so glad to have you join us . . . it's just that your post is kinda lost in the shuffle here on this other thread, and you deserve one of your own!

take care and visit often! :) :) :)

Shanny , I dont know where to put it . Could you move it for me please

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Shanny , I dont know where to put it . Could you move it for me please
Easy, just go here (will take you to the 'introduce yourself' forum) and click 'New Post' to create one. Oh, and welcome! :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Greetings

I was diagnosed with type ll diabetes several years ago. I was on metformin then insulin. I went on a diet lost 70 lbs and worked out. I eventually got off insulin and was controlled through diet. About 2 years ago the blood sugar level dramatically increased to a point where I am back on metformin. I am working on bringing my weight down to approximately 200 lbs. (I was at that weight and my height and body structure suited that weight). I also believe I have neuropathy in both hands and feet. I'm looking for information on what I should be doing to slow this, stop it or if possible revers it.
Hi and :welcome: from another Canuck :D

As shanny said, work to control the glucose levels. She mentioned 100 which is about 5.5 in our scale. If you can keep yourself between 4.5 and 6.5 you're doing great!

And, do NOT believe any doctor, dietician or nutritionist that tells you that 8, 9 or even 10 is FINE for a diabetic... (I've been told that lately). We can have (and deserve to have) healthy blood glucose levels!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
beefy said:
Hi and :welcome: from another Canuck :D

As shanny said, work to control the glucose levels. She mentioned 100 which is about 5.5 in our scale. If you can keep yourself between 4.5 and 6.5 you're doing great!

And, do NOT believe any doctor, dietician or nutritionist that tells you that 8, 9 or even 10 is FINE for a diabetic... (I've been told that lately). We can have (and deserve to have) healthy blood glucose levels!
Hi beefy

I know what you mean. My new GP thinks below 10 is fine. I think 10 is a little high. I am aiming for 4 - 6 mmol/L. I know 4 is low but I I have never been that low.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I was dx'd my Dietician told me 180 was ok, that is 10 in Canadian system. I went on my merry way eating all these carbs and thought if I was near 180 I was OK. Then I found online forums and realised what normal bgs were. When I found out normal people are near 83 and I was 100 over, WOW, wake up moment. I now strive to be much lower after meals 100-110 or so. It makes so much difference in my morning numbers. I still eat lots of good food, even bread but I don't use wheat flour.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts