The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

I was diagnosed with type ll diabetes several years ago. I was on metformin then insulin. I went on a diet lost 70 lbs and worked out. I eventually got off insulin and was controlled through diet. About 2 years ago the blood sugar level dramatically increased to a point where I am back on metformin. I am working on bringing my weight down to approximately 200 lbs. (I was at that weight and my height and body structure suited that weight). I also believe I have neuropathy in both hands and feet. I'm looking for information on what I should be doing to slow this, stop it or if possible revers it.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if a GAD test has been done but I do have a series to blood and keytone tests done every 2 months.
I have not tried Alpha Lipoci Acid. Where do get it? I should also mention that I live in Canada. Our glucose readings are measured in mmol/L. I can connvert the unit measurements with one of the Programs I have for my iPad.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
breezeonby said:
You can get Alpha Lipoic Acid in the vitamin-supplements sections of the supermarket and Walmart or Walgreens. If you have a local health food store they will carry ALA. I order my vitamins and supplements from Discount Vitamins and Supplements, Health Products at Lowest Price - Swanson Health Products. They have some of the cheapest vitamins on the net and they have flat rate shipping and they will give you 12 months to return anything that you don't like. I can try something and send it back if it doesn't work for me. Just take your glucose reading and multiply by 18 and you will then have the US reading.
Thanks. I didn't know the conversion factor. I was switching back and forth between the two systems.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
beefy said:
Hi and :welcome: from another Canuck :D

As shanny said, work to control the glucose levels. She mentioned 100 which is about 5.5 in our scale. If you can keep yourself between 4.5 and 6.5 you're doing great!

And, do NOT believe any doctor, dietician or nutritionist that tells you that 8, 9 or even 10 is FINE for a diabetic... (I've been told that lately). We can have (and deserve to have) healthy blood glucose levels!
Hi beefy

I know what you mean. My new GP thinks below 10 is fine. I think 10 is a little high. I am aiming for 4 - 6 mmol/L. I know 4 is low but I I have never been that low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.